Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 gt transmission grind

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:39 AM
RonMexico

Default 2014 gt transmission grind

I bought a 2014 gt in the summer and it has recently started grinding when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear until it is completely warmed up. I can avoid the really bad grind by double clutching but it is still there. I knew the transmission was notch and clunky, that I can live with. But the grinding is a bit much. I have an appointment to bring it in to the dealership in 2 weeks to have it looked at.

The problem is definitely worse in the cold weather. The days where it is below freezing are the worst, it takes a long time to warm up and shift properly.

I've seen a lot of posts about transmission problem with these cars but I cannot find one that explains what the solution is to the grinding. Will getting it replaced under warrenty fix the issue or are they all like this? Does ford have a fix? If anyone has any experience with this, your insight would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

it's how these boxes are dude
both my manuals were like tractors
i went over to auto and problem solved.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 PM
RonMexico

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
it's how these boxes are dude
both my manuals were like tractors
i went over to auto and problem solved.
I find it hard to believe that all of these transmissions grind like this. But who knows, I wouldn't put it past a car company to let a problem persist for this many years.

Just to be clear, what I am getting is not just a clunky or notchy shift, it grinds as if I was putting it into gear without pressing the clutch.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Mustang manuals have been terrible for a few years now. I had a Tremec in my 2008 and sold it for the same issues (wouldn't shift when cold, slow shifts, grinding) because Ford wouldn't stand behind it and said it was "normal". Not sure why (I bought another Ford after that experience) but I traded it for a 2010 Auto and never looked back. I won't buy a new manual transmission Mustang for this reason alone.

PS: Don't waste your time switching transmission fluid...I experimented with that and it didn't help at all. Your best bet is to insist that Ford fix it under warranty; good luck w/ that.

Last edited by STANGmole; 11-23-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM
RonMexico

Originally Posted by STANGmole
Mustang manuals have been terrible for a few years now. I had a Tremec in my 2008 and sold it for the same issues (wouldn't shift when cold, slow shifts, grinding) because Ford wouldn't stand behind it and said it was "normal". Not sure why (I bought another Ford after that experience) but I traded it for a 2010 Auto and never looked back. I won't buy a new manual transmission Mustang for this reason alone.

PS: Don't waste your time switching transmission fluid...I experimented with that and it didn't help at all. Your best bet is to insist that Ford fix it under warranty; good luck w/ that.
Thanks for the advice, replacing the fluid seems to be a common suggestion on these forums. Another popular one is to replace the shifter. My issue is that I don't want to mess around with a car under warranty. Plus, why should I have to buy after market parts to stop a brand new transmission from grinding.

So when I take it to my dealer, what am I insisting that they do? I don't want to fight for a new transmission if I'll just end up with the same problem.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole

exactly the same as me.the previous owner put some fancy synthetic oil in mine..still whirled clunked and grinded like a 1950's tractor..in fact going hard in first i always thought something was gonna go bang.i will never ever own another manual stang for sure
my vans gearbox is about 10 000 times smoother than a stangs..i got auto now and am deligted
Old 11-24-2013, 01:52 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

wow...that is awful. My '11 has 8000 miles on it and its never had a single issue with the manual trans. Never a single grind or anything out of the ordinary. I hope you can get it fixed...
Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RonMexico
I bought a 2014 gt in the summer and it has recently started grinding when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear until it is completely warmed up. I can avoid the really bad grind by double clutching but it is still there. I knew the transmission was notch and clunky, that I can live with. But the grinding is a bit much. I have an appointment to bring it in to the dealership in 2 weeks to have it looked at.

The problem is definitely worse in the cold weather. The days where it is below freezing are the worst, it takes a long time to warm up and shift properly.

I've seen a lot of posts about transmission problem with these cars but I cannot find one that explains what the solution is to the grinding. Will getting it replaced under warrenty fix the issue or are they all like this? Does ford have a fix? If anyone has any experience with this, your insight would be much appreciated. Thanks
I had a grinding when shifting into 2nd last winter. I double-clutched it until the car was warmed up and had no problems. It was usually only a couple of shifts to 2nd and then I was good to drive it normal. I installed a new shifter and bracket and haven't had a trouble since.

I also had a grinding noise when shifting into 5th gear on cold start-ups. It was made worse by colder temps. The MT-82 hates the cold. For my problem it was 100% operator error. The MT-82 and clutch set-up is less forgiving than the older Tremec's. I found 2 things that were causing it. 1) Make sure the clutch pedal is all of the way to the floor before you move the shifter. 2) Before pushing the shifter into the gate, make sure that you are lined up with the center of the gate. Being off to one side or the other will cause that grinding sound. In my case I was going from 4th to 5th and pushing along the left side of the gate.

I got a little sloppy from driving a Tremec which is much more forgiving. I know those are stupid things to mess up, and stuff that you learn when first learning to drive a manual. Pay a little bit of attention to the small things and see if it helps your problem.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
wow...that is awful. My '11 has 8000 miles on it and its never had a single issue with the manual trans. Never a single grind or anything out of the ordinary. I hope you can get it fixed...
When it gets to 20F or so in Florida.... come back and post

Its a cold weather thing. These cars don't like cold weather. Once it warms up, its fine, but yea... these cars feel down right arthritic in cold weather until you drive for 10 minutes or so.

Interestingly, Ford tested these in Michigan..so they had to know.

OP, just take it easy until the car warms. Row through the gears a few times while you are waiting for the car to warm at idle (you shouldn't just start and go anyway). Not saying it's right.. but thats just the way it is. I get a random grind into 5th if I don't stretch it out a little in the morning.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Mine does it too, it's a lot better with an MGW shifter though, works a lot better in the cold. Although it does not completely get rid of it, it does stop it from locking out under heavy load.

Quick Reply: 2014 gt transmission grind