Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

girlfriend just lost all stang driving priveleges

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default girlfriend just lost all stang driving priveleges

let the gf drive us up to PA for the holidays, and she rolled over something on the highway. quite a thump. tire immediately went flat; half inch hole in the sidewall of the front right tire...

Tires have about half their life left, only 25k miles on them, so I figure I should just replace the front two. They are Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I got these originally as my full time tires, since they are dubbed all-season tires; however, now I only use them as winter tires. should i just get two new of the same tires, or should i get a set of two really good winter-specific tires and put them on the rear? (I live in northern Virginia, where we can get some significant snow some years). thoughts?

also, if the wheel got bent, would it be easy to notice/know myself?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I think winter specific would be best. To keep my wife from driving my car I just keep adding Horse power. It makes my world Perfect
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

More horsepower would not stop me FYI, the more the better Us west coast girls know how to handle a Mustang

Sucks about the tires though.......
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
....Us west coast girls know how to handle a Mustang
Yeah but can you tame one?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Yeah but can you tame one?
uh..... as in the horse lol? Cause ummm no just of the vehicle variety. :P
Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

OK. Good enough then.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

If you are going to buy winter tires, get them all the way around the car. If those previous tires were manageable in the snowy stuff then just get those instead.

As for the wheel being bent, I think you could tell if the car feels like its shaking at higher speeds. You may see part of the rim itself (note: the outer ring of the wheel, not the wheel or spoke itself) being bent but that doesn't mean the rest of the wheel is bent. You can definitely do the eye test to see if it looks bent anyway but wherever you go to get new tires, that place should be able to tell if the wheel is bent or not.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
If you are going to buy winter tires, get them all the way around the car. If those previous tires were manageable in the snowy stuff then just get those instead.

As for the wheel being bent, I think you could tell if the car feels like its shaking at higher speeds. You may see part of the rim itself (note: the outer ring of the wheel, not the wheel or spoke itself) being bent but that doesn't mean the rest of the wheel is bent. You can definitely do the eye test to see if it looks bent anyway but wherever you go to get new tires, that place should be able to tell if the wheel is bent or not.

thanks. yea i would have preferred to get winter tires all around after these 4 used all their tread, but this incident has thrown a wrench in those plans.

the wheel is off the car now, so can't feel any shaking. will have to see what the dealer says.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Whatever tires you get, put them on the rear (unless they are staggered and you can't). If the rear tires lose traction while the front tires retain traction, you might wind up looking at where you have been, instead of where you want to go.

If GF loses privileges because of something as minor as this, you may find yourself losing some privileges.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Whatever tires you get, put them on the rear (unless they are staggered and you can't). If the rear tires lose traction while the front tires retain traction, you might wind up looking at where you have been, instead of where you want to go.

If GF loses privileges because of something as minor as this, you may find yourself losing some privileges.
LOL ....very good point! Hey, she could of swerved and caused an accident. Flat tire, no big deal.

Quick Reply: girlfriend just lost all stang driving priveleges