Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:00 PM
aford89

Default Shaker 500 question

My brother just bought a 08 GT and he's getting the CD initialization error, he's tried unhooking the battery for awhile to see if that would clear it and it did not. he's talking about aftermarket now. If he replaces the headunit will an aftermarket have the same bass the shaker 500 has? i know its nothing to praise about but is better than having none at all. Anyone know any other tricks to clear the error?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Replace it with aftermarket. Most people report an improvement in sound over the Shaker with aftermarket. You will still have the same bass - just make sure to get the proper wiring harness so you can hook up the factory subs. You'll need the voltage regulator or whatever it is from Radio Shack (part number 7805 I believe), otherwise you'll get a thump when you turn the system on. There are several writeups about it.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:00 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I think you'll be disappointed in the sound if you put in an aftermarket HU. you'll lose the EQ and crossover settings, and it'll likely sound squawky and lifeless.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I can say I think the shaker sounded better than the touch screen I put in
Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

A month ago I had to replace my Shaker 500 due to it started killing the battery. Went with a Pioneer from Crutchfield as it came with everything that is needed. The sound quality even with the weak factory speakers is a lot better compared to the factory unit. Downside is immediately after putting the new HU in there are numerous new rattles to chase.
No thump. Better sound. And now I can use my iPod or phone for music.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
I think you'll be disappointed in the sound if you put in an aftermarket HU. you'll lose the EQ and crossover settings, and it'll likely sound squawky and lifeless.
This goes against what most people report if you poke around in the audio forum here or other S197 sites. Also, most new HU have built in crossovers for the sub preamp outputs (adjustable) as well as EQ adjustments (not just bass/treble). Stick with a name brand (Pioneer, Alpine, etc) and you'll be fine.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

except I know what a shaker 500 sounds like w/no equalization and it's a freak show

I've seen very few aftermarket head units with worthwhile equalization capability. 7-band graphic is too coarse.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

I just replaced my Shaker 500 with a JVC GPS/DVD HU. It has a built in equalizer. I also replaced my speakers to Alpine Type R's. I can say at first I was scared because it did sound like crap, the bass was rattling everything. After spending about a day playing with the equalizer settings, I have my car rocking! It sounds sooo much better than stock. Bass sounds good just don't use the bass boost or whatever. I have GPS/hands free and bluetooth connecitivity so IMO it was way better. But if anyone is looking for shaker 500 HU I have one up for grabs.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

The first thing I did was get that shaker head unit out of my car lol. Bought a kenwood ddx with front USB & AUX and the fancy stuff, and no regrets. Looks great... Think about it
Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

If he wants to keep the shaker he can probably find one to replace it with, IF he can't figure out what is wrong with it. I have no idea what it could be myself.

I have about as much experience with the Shaker system as a day old infant, but I have read you can get all the components needed to replace the system and retain all the features. Think I read an article on Crutchfield about it.

I would also go speak with a reputable Electronics shop.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 question