Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

defect in paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default defect in paint?

I was just cleaning my new car and found a spot on the roof near the windshield. I thought it was just a needle from my pine tree, but its not as it appears to be under the clear coat. Its only about 1/2 inch long and looks like a thread. What should I do? Would this be something covered under warranty?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Worth calling and asking.... Is it that big of a deal that you want them to take your car for a few days to repaint that part and possibly screw other stuff up in the process?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

IDK, I can't believe I didn't see it before. What sucks is the dealership is a 2 hour drive away. I'm thinking it might be able to be buffed out though...
Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
IDK, I can't believe I didn't see it before. What sucks is the dealership is a 2 hour drive away. I'm thinking it might be able to be buffed out though...
You can take it to any Ford dealer.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Oh really, that's a relief? There is one only a couple miles away in my town.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

I was just cleaning my new car and found a spot on the roof near the windshield. I thought it was just a needle from my pine tree, but its not as it appears to be under the clear coat. Its only about 1/2 inch long and looks like a thread. What should I do? Would this be something covered under warranty?
Hey Mrbobcat,

I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please, make an appointment with your nearest Ford Dealer as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Clevor

I have the same problem in the middle of the hood, about 1-inch away from the edge of my 2013 GT Premium. It's an irregular, elongated bubble. It's not getting larger, so I suspect it's debris. It's topside, so doesn't seem like the dreaded galvanic corrosion problem with aluminum.

I sent pics to my dealer and they told me to bring it in. However I have done maybe $15,000 worth of pro bodywork in my day and I'd rather live with it. Because I know to fix it, it will have to look a lot worse before it looks better. In other words, the dealer (or bodyshop they use) will grind the paint down to bare metal in a 5" diameter area and use bondo or primer surfacer to level it before the paint goes on. I really don't trust whoever's doing the work so I can live with it if it's debris. If it's the dreaded corrosion problem and major parts of the hood go, I have documentation it started before the 3-yr warrantee period.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, mine looks to be a little string or something, but appears to be in the clear coat. The body shops thinks they may be able to sand it down and buff it out if it doesn't go all the way through the clear coat. If it does, they would have to paint the whole roof.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Well the warranty work got approved, but turns out they don't offer a loaner car at the place the local Ford dealer referred me to. It sounds like the cheapest place in town is $42 a day and they may only have it a few hours if it would buff out, but it could be a couple days if they have to paint it. Now I don't know what to do as my parents live in another town. I have never run into this problem. The place I usually go to to get my car worked on always offers a loaner.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Will the dealer cover the rental under the warranty too?

Quick Reply: defect in paint?