Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire size comparison question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Tire size comparison question

Hey guys, so I'm going to be getting some new wheels and tires within the next week or 2. I'm planning on getting these, http://www.americanmuscle.com/silver...eels-0509.html , in 18x9 and 18x10.5

I'm not sure what to do for tires though. I know I can run up to a 315 but I think a 305 is the perfect width for that rim from what I see. Only downside is tires in that size are all drag radials that I see. That is fine, until it starts to rain or snow. Because my car is a daily driver I don't think that would be the safest thing in the world.

I really like the BFgoodrich T/A KDW's but the biggest size they have that would fit is a 275. But I remember reading somewhere that BFG tends to run wider. I think I remember someone saying a 295 is close to like a 315, or something like that, in some other brands. so would a 275 be closer to like a 295 or a 305 in a different brand?

What brands tend to run wide? and if I do go with an actual 315 or a 305, is there a tire that is at least decent in the rain? I can always get some all season tires for my old wheels and just swap them out if it ever snows here. I do live in the south (NC) so even if it does snow it's normally gone the next day. So like I said I really only need something that is decent is rain. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've never heard "they tend to run bigger" regarding tires. Pants and shirts and shoes maybe but NOT tires. Tires are made to meet certain specs and, yeah, there may be minor variance but not where a 305 would really be a 315. That's pretty ludicrous.

If you go to tirerack.com or any other online tire site, you'll find the specs including what size rims a particular tire will fit. Also, if you change the tire O.D. from what the stock value is, you'll need a tuner to adjust your speedometer. Too drastic of an OD change and it'll impact performance by changing the overall drive ratio.

I was in the Raleigh area this past winter when the dimwits got 3"-4" of snow and actually thought they could drive around on crap tires. If I owned a fleet of tow trucks and wreckers, I could have retired.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I've never heard "they tend to run bigger" regarding tires. Pants and shirts and shoes maybe but NOT tires. Tires are made to meet certain specs and, yeah, there may be minor variance but not where a 305 would really be a 315. That's pretty ludicrous.

If you go to tirerack.com or any other online tire site, you'll find the specs including what size rims a particular tire will fit. Also, if you change the tire O.D. from what the stock value is, you'll need a tuner to adjust your speedometer. Too drastic of an OD change and it'll impact performance by changing the overall drive ratio.

I was in the Raleigh area this past winter when the dimwits got 3"-4" of snow and actually thought they could drive around on crap tires. If I owned a fleet of tow trucks and wreckers, I could have retired.
Thanks Nuke, I thought I had read that somewhere but maybe I'm just crazy. I have a tuner so I can fix the speedometer.

Yea, I remember that that snow storm. It was crazy how bad it got, people are insane around here if it's anything but sunny out.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

That is fine, until it starts to rain or snow. Because my car is a daily driver I don't think that would be the safest thing in the world.
A 275 is about the largest you're going to want to go if rain performance is important to you, and you'll want to stay away from the extreme performance tires as well, otherwise hydroplaning will be something you'll have to seriously consider in all but the lightest rain.

Snow performance is pretty much non-existent in any kind of summer tire, and barely existent in all-season tires.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:57 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I run the same wheel with Nittos 255 up front and 555r DRs in back 305 wide. Tire works great in the rain and is the best DD DR there is. Will last up to 15k but forget about snow and cold weather. Just get the BFGs. 305 fits flush on this wheel, 315 will fit easy IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Tire size comparison question-mg_19216427046021.jpg