Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank - Cannot Fill Completely

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:41 AM
SSShaw

Default Fuel Tank - Cannot Fill Completely

I have always had a problem with my 2005 Mustang not filling with fuel completely. Occasionally, when it is almost empty, I can only get about 7 to 8 gallons of fuel into the tank. The tank will hold 16 gallons, but seems to only fill halfway. I will give up and drive it a little and then return to the station and usually I can fill it completely.

I think this has something to do with the tank straddling the drive shaft. It seems to fill one side, but not spill over to the other side. I have complained to Ford with poor results.

Any ideas? Does anybody else experience this?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I have an '05 GT. I have never had the problem you speak of. However in the days it was new it was said that you couldn't just hang the nozzle on the filler like all those other folks do. I had an off and on again difficulty of getting gas into it. But for years I have had no issue holding the nozzle inverted at about the 1:30 O'clock position during the fill. Can be a drag in the cold and rainy times.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:14 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Had this issue several times in my 06. Not really sure what the permanent fix is, but I remember having to tilt the nozzle at a few different angles to get it to finally fill my tank completely.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 PM
SSShaw

I also had the issue where it was hard to put fuel into the tank because the nozzle would shut off over and over and over. Ford replaced my tank, which took care of that problem.

The problem now is that sometimes, it will not fill all of the way and will take no more gas, even though only about 7 gallons went in and the tank was close to empty. when this happens, I can't get any more gas in no matter what angle I put the nozzle at. I have even driven to a different gas station and tried it again and couldn't get any more gas in.

I'm not sure if it is supposed to spill over into the other side by gravity or if there is an equalizer pump that may be failing.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

When the 05 came out there were some reports of this problem. So many in fact that ford issued a couple of related TSB's on it. just do an internet search for Ford Mustang Fuel Tank TSB. You'll find it. This forums TSB search list is not working right now or i'd direct you there.

IIRC it had to do with the saddle type design of the tank and a faulty sensor or valve. They basically replaced the fuel tank in most cases.

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-tsb/
Old 10-08-2014, 07:06 PM
SSShaw

I think that TSB 07-21-12 may cover it.

I like their fix....

Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved
or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump.

Of course when I was complaining to Ford after I bought it, they wouldn't do anything about it. It seems to be a venting problem and I have to drive it around to burp it.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 07:24 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Mine does it occasionally too. Turn the pump upside down when filling. Not even kidding.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

^That's or 90 degree turn on the nozzle--works like a charm. Dont' ask me why.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you search the site you'll find this is a common issue. Even the fix per the TSB doesn't guarantee a good resolution. Slow the delivery, turn the pump handle, back the nozzle out of the filler tube slightly; one or any of these in combination usually work.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My 06 has this issue as does my 2011 ford truck! Fricken fords crappy design.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank - Cannot Fill Completely