MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   2014 v6 3rd to 2nd gear grind (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/714929-2014-v6-3rd-to-2nd-gear-grind.html)

iamzatch 11-10-2014 04:53 PM

2014 v6 3rd to 2nd gear grind

When down shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd gear grinds most of the time. Once I get into 2nd gear with the clutch depressed if i wiggle it forward and backward it just grinds grinds grinds until I move the car to neutral.

I am able to reproduce this on basically every 3rd to 2nd downshift no matter the rpm unless the car is going slow like 10mph or lower.

Any thoughts? I'll be making an appointment but it sure is annoying.

MustangInTexas 11-10-2014 09:05 PM

Are you rev matching? Giving the gas a little blip so that the RPMs will match what the lower gear will need. If you are, I defer to someone else. I don't see this issue.

iamzatch 11-12-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas (Post 8441932)
Are you rev matching? Giving the gas a little blip so that the RPMs will match what the lower gear will need. If you are, I defer to someone else. I don't see this issue.

I am not rev matching.

I've got another issue. When shifting from 3rd to 2nd at low RPMs.. I am able to get the shifter into 2nd no issue but when I let out on the clutch the shifter jumps forward a bit and grinds grinds until it pops out of gear.

PNYXPRESS 11-12-2014 06:11 PM

Take it to the dealership. They will have to open it up and replace the gear cluster. The t-5 in my fox is doing the same thing due to a bent input shaft, broke syncros, and chipped 2nd gear teeth.

MustangInTexas 11-13-2014 07:01 AM

You NEED to do the rev matching when you downshift unless you are VERY LOW revs. If you're doing maybe 15 - 20 you MIGHT get away without it for the 3 -> 2 shift. It sounds like you're just trying to force it and your tranny won't be happy when you do that.
If you think something is broken, take it in to your dealership.

PNYXPRESS 11-13-2014 07:26 AM

This is not a rev matching issue. you do not need to rev match in order to downshift with a clutch.

MustangInTexas 11-14-2014 06:38 AM

That totally depends at what RPMs you're downshifting. If you hold the high gear until the revs are way down, no. If you're downshifting at 3k, yeah, I would never just dump it into a lower gear and let the tranny take the beating to force the motor up to 5k (or whatever). Very harsh on your car.

PNYXPRESS 11-14-2014 06:48 AM

^Yes, however the issue is getting it into gear. The trans should not grind when shifting into 2nd with the clutch disengaged. Rev matching doesn't affect shifting, or the fact it wont stay in gear after the clutch is engaged.

FordService 11-14-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8441870)
When down shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd gear grinds most of the time. Once I get into 2nd gear with the clutch depressed if i wiggle it forward and backward it just grinds grinds grinds until I move the car to neutral.

I am able to reproduce this on basically every 3rd to 2nd downshift no matter the rpm unless the car is going slow like 10mph or lower.

Any thoughts? I'll be making an appointment but it sure is annoying.

Have you addressed your shifting issue with your Ford Dealer yet, iamzatch?

Deysha

iamzatch 11-14-2014 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS (Post 8442741)
^Yes, however the issue is getting it into gear. The trans should not grind when shifting into 2nd with the clutch disengaged. Rev matching doesn't affect shifting, or the fact it wont stay in gear after the clutch is engaged.

PNY you have been very helpful. Can you address this concern:

If I am driving normally in 3rd gear at 2,000 rpm, and I depress the clutch and put the car into neutral and allow the rpms to fall to idle rpms... and while the clutch still depressed should I be able to move the gear shifting knob into 2nd gear with absolutely NO grinding and no issues at all?

I want to take a video of this tomorrow and show you.

MustangInTexas 11-15-2014 06:45 AM

I've not really done that so I'll try to remember to give it a shot. You might want to talk with Ford, as Deysha suggested.

PNYXPRESS 11-15-2014 04:52 PM

With the clutch depressed fully you should be able to shift from gear to gear up and down with out grinding at any rpm.

If there is any grinding noise then there is an issue inside the trans (probably broken syncro teeth), slave cylinder is bad, air in clutch line, or the clutch pressure plate is weak and not fully disengaging the clutch.

iamzatch 11-15-2014 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas (Post 8442935)
I've not really done that so I'll try to remember to give it a shot. You might want to talk with Ford, as Deysha suggested.

Sorry guys I should have said..

I've got an appointment with Ford 8am on Monady morning, I actually PMed Deysha when I made this post. It seems she replied first before reading her PMs so I definitely am going down the right track.

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS (Post 8443010)
With the clutch depressed fully you should be able to shift from gear to gear up and down with out grinding at any rpm.

If there is any grinding noise then there is an issue inside the trans (probably broken syncro teeth), slave cylinder is bad, air in clutch line, or the clutch pressure plate is weak and not fully disengaging the clutch.

Excellent to hear, Excellent! I am hopeful to have the issue addressed Monday morning then. :icon_hyper:

MustangInTexas 11-16-2014 05:21 AM

OK, I tried this while I was out yesterday. Cruising along I depressed the clutch. From there I was able to put the shifter into any gear. 5th to 2nd even, no problem (while leaving the clutch depressed). Let us know what Ford says.

FordService 11-17-2014 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas (Post 8442935)

Thank you for the mention, MustangInTexas!

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8443083)
Sorry guys I should have said..

I've got an appointment with Ford 8am on Monady morning, I actually PMed Deysha when I made this post. It seems she replied first before reading her PMs so I definitely am going down the right track.

I sent you a response last week, iamzatch.

Deysha

iamzatch 11-17-2014 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 8443387)
Thank you for the mention, MustangInTexas!

I sent you a response last week, iamzatch.

Deysha

Hi Deysha!

Yes I got it thank you so much for yor reply. I am leaving for my appointment now I will update you guys when I get back.

FordService 11-17-2014 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8443392)
Hi Deysha!

Yes I got it thank you so much for yor reply. I am leaving for my appointment now I will update you guys when I get back.

Awesome! Thanks, iamzatch!

Deysha

iamzatch 11-17-2014 10:26 AM

The car is at the dealer. I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and the gearbox grinded like crazy with the tech in the car and he was like "Oh yeah thats a problem" so they're going to provide me an update today we shall we what happens.

PNYXPRESS 11-17-2014 12:05 PM

Make sure they give you a loaner that is comparable to the mustang. When I took my GT in for warranty work they tried to give me a minivan at first. I told them, not gonna happen and ended up with a focus with was actually a fun little car to drive.

iamzatch 11-17-2014 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS (Post 8443445)
Make sure they give you a loaner that is comparable to the mustang. When I took my GT in for warranty work they tried to give me a minivan at first. I told them, not gonna happen and ended up with a focus with was actually a fun little car to drive.

They said they don't do loaners. Should I push for this?

I can't rent a rental car because I'm under 25 unfortunately, do these laws apply to loaners from dealers too?

PNYXPRESS 11-17-2014 01:20 PM

I think they have to give you a loaner if they have your car for a certain number of days. It should be covered under the warranty guidelines. I got a loaner when my sixxer needed a trans rebuild under warranty. With similar symptons as yours.

iamzatch 11-17-2014 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS (Post 8443471)
I think they have to give you a loaner if they have your car for a certain number of days. It should be covered under the warranty guidelines. I got a loaner when my sixxer needed a trans rebuild under warranty. With similar symptons as yours.

Alright I'll see what they can do.

iamzatch 11-17-2014 02:03 PM

Longmont Ford just called me back--

They pulled the fluid from the transmission and it has metal in the fluid so the transmission is coming out. Theres 1 car in front of me that needs transmission work done so it looks like my car won't get started on until tomorrow afternoon.

No loaner car from this dealer they confirmed they literally cannot do anything for me on the transportation thing. Ugh that sucks :(

But I'll figure it out I hope!

FordService 11-18-2014 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS (Post 8443471)

The new-vehicle limited warranty does not cover rentals or loaners while your vehicle is down for service/repairs, PNYXPRESS. Loaners are provided per dealer availability and not all dealers have that option. Some only have it available if you purchased the vehicle from them, or if it’s an extenuating circumstance, etc. This is also why we offer rental provisions with our Extended Service Plans with first day rental or after 24 hour rental, etc. However, age does play a part in most states.

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8443485)
Longmont Ford just called me back--

They pulled the fluid from the transmission and it has metal in the fluid so the transmission is coming out. Theres 1 car in front of me that needs transmission work done so it looks like my car won't get started on until tomorrow afternoon.

No loaner car from this dealer they confirmed they literally cannot do anything for me on the transportation thing. Ugh that sucks :(
But I'll figure it out I hope!

Glad to learn they found the culprit and are taking care of it for you, iamzatch.

Deysha

iamzatch 11-20-2014 10:33 AM

So after dropping the car off Monday, and getting a call Monday evening with an ETA of 1 week... I called back today after not getting a call at all this week as was told to me.

The transmission of the car is out, and the 2nd gear synchro is "basically destroyed". They ordered the part and are expecting it MID NEXT WEEK (really? :() so I probably wont have the car back until December 1st at the earliest because of the holiday.

This has gone kinda sour quite quickly.

iamzatch 11-24-2014 06:36 PM

Can anyone provide some insight into the repair process? Deysha? I'm feeling really left out of the mix here.

The last time I talked to my service advisor at the dealer was Thursday of last week. He was supposed to have called me once the transmission was out of the car, but didn't, so I made the call to him Thursday. On Thursday he expected the part to be there either Friday or mid-this week.

On Saturday night I was out with my girlfriend and we decided to drive by the dealer and my car was out sitting in the parking lot. I thought, that's weird, maybe its done and they just haven't called me. It was right before closing so I walked in and asked the only available service guy if he could check the status, he looked up my name and said it was definitely not done. That's really weird, why is my car that definitely has no transmission and potentially may be missing other components just sitting outside away from the service area?

Today I called the customer service manager from Ford that called me today, and left her a message asking if she could call the dealer for an update. Never heard back from her all day today. So, I called the service department at the dealer and asked to speak to my service advisor... he isn't there today. So I asked for a status of my car if they can look it up for me and the person told me he was unable to check the status of a car under my service advisor's account that it was "locked up"? WTF?

How did the guy on Saturday look me up?
Why didn't the customer service manager call me back?
Why is my vehicle sitting outside?
Why do I feel really outside this situation? The customer should be the primary person to keep informed and it seems I'm really being thrown for a loop! :/

13V6coupe 11-24-2014 07:03 PM

It is likely outside (pushed by hand) to leave room on lifts and in bays for other vehicles to be worked on while yours waits on parts and those parts to be installed in the transmission

They may push service vehicles back in at night , my local dealership does to some but don't have room for all

So the process;
I would guess-
experience problem in vehicle
remove transmission for closer inspection and find out what it actually needs
get approval/order parts for warranty
get car out of the way and transmission somewhere out of the way to work on other service vehicles
parts arrive
once the tech is free get said tranny back together and get the car back in and transmission back in
test ride, call customer

But yes very frustrating if they don't adequately communicate with you and miss projection dates and have help that is unhelpful...

Do you know , did they every get the parts and if so when?- It certainly shouldn't take long once parts are in to get the tech on it.

iamzatch 11-24-2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 13V6coupe (Post 8445391)
It is likely outside (pushed by hand) to leave room on lifts and in bays for other vehicles to be worked on while yours waits on parts and those parts to be installed in the transmission

They may push service vehicles back in at night , my local dealership does to some but don't have room for all

So the process;
I would guess-
experience problem in vehicle
remove transmission for closer inspection and find out what it actually needs
get approval/order parts for warranty
get car out of the way and transmission somewhere out of the way to work on other service vehicles
parts arrive
once the tech is free get said tranny back together and get the car back in and transmission back in
test ride, call customer

But yes very frustrating if they don't adequately communicate with you and miss projection dates and have help that is unhelpful...

Do you know , did they every get the parts and if so when?- It certainly shouldn't take long once parts are in to get the tech on it.

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately they have not told me if the parts were in. Thats really what I wanted to know today, I figured they could just look the account/car up and tell me where its at but nope? Oh well.

FordService 11-25-2014 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8445381)
Can anyone provide some insight into the repair process? Deysha? I'm feeling really left out of the mix here. ...

I see the FSE already came out and looked at your vehicle, iamzatch. I will forward your info and have your CSM contact you as soon as possible.

Deysha

iamzatch 11-25-2014 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 8445510)
I see the FSE already came out and looked at your vehicle, iamzatch. I will forward your info and have your CSM contact you as soon as possible.

Deysha

Why was an FSE dispatched to look at the vehicle?
Is this normal proceedings?

jz78817 11-25-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8445513)
Why was an FSE dispatched to look at the vehicle?
Is this normal proceedings?

for an uncommon failure.

iamzatch 11-25-2014 09:38 AM

Well everyone this is extremely disappointing and saddening news. Ford is denying warranty work on a transmission with less than 15,000 miles.

They had a Ford Service Engineer at the dealer for a separate issue and he was asked to look at my transmission as well. On Thursday I was told the 2nd gear synchro needed to be replaced, the part was ordered, and I would be good to go. Apparently this ISNT the case?!

The FSE determined my car has been tracked and abused to a point where the transmission is not warrantable.

However, this car has NEVER been tracked, and I do not drive it hard EVER!

The service agent told me the car was dangerous to drive because of the metal in the fluid so I'm not sure what they expect me to do now? I dont have the money to pay for a rebuild of a transmission on a car I bought just a year ago! And if its unsafe to drive they probably arent going to just put it back together and leave it like that :O

I don't even know what to do or go from here?

iamzatch 11-25-2014 10:41 AM

I called the service manager, the dealer wants $7k to replace the entire transmission with labor and everything.

I'm at a loss, I don't have this kind of money, I'm a college student. I don't really know what to do or how to proceed. They wont put the car back together either unless I pay the $2k for labor for taking the transmission out and putting it back in.

I'm totally absolutely just stunned.

MustangInTexas 11-25-2014 12:05 PM

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. Maybe you should ask for what proof they have of it being tracked. I guess they'd just say because it fell apart it MUST have been tracked.

Deysha, please help this poor soul out!

iamzatch 11-25-2014 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas (Post 8445551)
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. Maybe you should ask for what proof they have of it being tracked. I guess they'd just say because it fell apart it MUST have been tracked.

I called the customer service manager for my region back and explained fully my case and what was going on.

I saved 3 years of work to use as a 50% down payment on my car... This let my payment be low and help me get financing for the cost of the vehicle, however I cannot afford a $7k transmission job let alone $2k just for the labor to get my car back.

Today has been a whirlwind of events, I am hopeful the customer service manager can help me in this situation.

svastano 11-26-2014 10:20 AM

That really sucks! Ford should be ashamed of themselves! I would go there in person and raise some H$LL! Right in the showroom! Might get someone's attention to get you fixed up!

FordService 11-26-2014 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas (Post 8445551)

I don’t have a say so on that, MustangInTexas. :(

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8445582)
I called the customer service manager for my region back and explained fully my case and what was going on.

I saved 3 years of work to use as a 50% down payment on my car... This let my payment be low and help me get financing for the cost of the vehicle, however I cannot afford a $7k transmission job let alone $2k just for the labor to get my car back.

Today has been a whirlwind of events, I am hopeful the customer service manager can help me in this situation.

I understand how extensive and frustrating this has been for you, iamzatch. Definitely work with your CSM. I hope they can help you in some way.

Deysha

iamzatch 11-26-2014 11:19 AM

:(

First and foremost I want to thank Deysha and everyone else at Ford who's been working this problem on my behalf.

Unfortunately I have no really good news about the situation.

The regional CSM talked with the Service Manager at my dealership and has basically said there is nothing she can do. :( The FSE determined after looking at the car for <15 seconds (Service Manager's own words), that it was absolutely abuse related. I am unable to recourse with the dealer because its Ford Motor Co.'s decision at the moment. I asked for the issue to be escalated and I can expect a call back in two business days. The CSM, although very nice and helpful, basically told me tough ****.

The dealer itself wants about $2k in labor cost associated with tearing down the transmission. Despite the fact I brought the car to them working about 90% with just this small issue, they are telling me they cannot put the transmission back together at all, as in, it is totally destroyed. I can take the car as is with no transmission and parts in a box if I pay the $2k labor cost associated with the removal of the transmission. I did not agree to these charges at any time, and I brought the car in on a good faith thought that it was a warranty issue from the start.

I am basically at a loss at this point, absolutely stunned. The car has never been brought to the track. I paid 50% of the cost of the car down with 3 years of busting my ass saving money to get my dream car, why would I destroy it? I am 20 and male, but what person my age has their own financing, excellent credit and the wits to go out and buy a car without the help from anyone else? I feel that I am being profiled for my age and gender and the dealership is attempting to take advantage of me financially. I don't understand how I can bring an operational vehicle (for the most part) in and leave -$2k with a car that cannot even be used and needs a new transmission.

@Deysha, please for the love of god help me? I am the same guy who posted here a little over a year ago concerned about PARKING MY CAR: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ng-s-size.html

I'm not man enough to even drive this car the way it should be and yet I am being accused of driving it at a track every weekend and completely destroying the engine. My dream was to have a Mustang to bring to car shows (really great times by the way) and show off how mature and professional I was, not to destroy a car I just bought.

There has been no opportunity for recourse here at all. Cant a service tech look at the computer logs to see the thing hasn't seen over 6k RPM more than once? How can it be so sure that the 2nd gear didn't have a flaw and disintegrated by itself? How is it certain that the clutch pedal wasn't fully disconnecting the clutch & transmission from the engine and this caused additional wear and tear?

I'm literally a wreck, I have anxiety issues sometimes and I didn't even sleep last night. I can't afford $2k to get my car out of dealership jail yet alone the additional $4k to actually fix it. I don't even know what to do next?

Anyone else here on this forum, next steps?

FordService 11-26-2014 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8445779)
:(

First and foremost I want to thank Deysha and everyone else at Ford who's been working this problem on my behalf.

Unfortunately I have no really good news about the situation. ...

I know how much you love your car, iamzatch. I don’t have the power to override an FSE. Once they say it’s not a warrantable issue, there’s not much we can do. :(

Deysha

iamzatch 11-26-2014 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 8445859)
I know how much you love your car, iamzatch. I don’t have the power to override an FSE. Once they say it’s not a warrantable issue, there’s not much we can do. :(

Deysha

@Deysha, no due diligence was done, no investigation was done. I have no opportunity for recourse, no opportunity for a case to be opened? This is honestly the most ridiculous situation I have ever been in.

What can you do to escalate this further?
My car is stuck in a Ford Dealership and I am expected to pay $2k to get it out, transmission completely disassembled, when I brought it to them in ~90% working order?