Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should a Ford dealership cover parts on my vehicle under warranty that were modified

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 AM
RyanT600

Default Should a Ford dealership cover parts on my vehicle under warranty that were modified

I bought a 2012 Mustang GT from a Ford dealership about 3 months ago and the car now has a clunking noise coming from the rear that has been determined to require a rear differential rebuild to fix, which will cost a couple thousand dollars. The service tech is telling me that it might not be covered under warranty because the previous owner modified the car by putting in higher gears.

I feel that I bought this car from a dealership, still under warranty, and had no idea about the modified gears, I shouldn't have to pay for this rebuild myself. Thoughts or knowledge?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Actually, the dealer should have to cover it if they didn't disclose the modified rear end and said it was warranted. I would think if you would call Ford, they would probably put some pressure on the dealership as this would not look good o n the Ford name if this dealership made a shady dealing like this. I personally have no problems about making a big stink to get them to cover things..just be persistant, but not angry.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:34 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

if the gears were changed, and the speedo corrected, its possible that they didnt know about them. the inspection only covers correct and safe operation. not previous customer mods, unless they disable emissions or create a safety issue. they are right, ford motor company will not cover non ford gears if they are the issue. you can see if the dealer would cover out of good will, but unless a warranty other that ford warranty was implied, you are most likely out of luck. a good middle ground would be to offer to pay for just the new gears, and have them run it through warranty as a bearing noise, sure you will have to pay for the gears, but the labor, fluids, and other parts could then be covered. talk to them and see. good luck
Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default Warranty

First. It should not cost you thousands of dollars for a rear gear overhaul. Im doing a rear gear swap today at my dealership, and its 6.5 hours for a differential overhaul, and additional .6 for a traction lok rebuild. Installation plus parts is running me just under 1400 cdn. including gears oil, everything.

Second you bought it from them so they need to warranty the product they sell. If they dont its the exact same thing, as if you bought rotten fruit from a fruit stand and the fruit seller tells you "hey man take it up with the orange tree" Ask to speak to the owner of the dealership explain that you really like your mustang and want to stay with ford. But really hes putting you in a situation where you feel like you want to trade your vehicle in on a new Dodge Challenger, or Camaro, or Corvette. Because really the only thing stopping you from buying a new Challenger is the service you get at his dealership. He wants your business they made money off of you selling you a mustang and they would like to make more money off you in 5 years when you go to buy a new car.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What was the wording of the car when they sold it 'As-is' or 'Under Warranty'?

If it had a warranty, what box was marked on this form?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...yers-guide.pdf

That will tell you what your rights are. If you didn't bother reading that piece of paper you might be SOL or have limited rights to repair under warranty.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If they do not cover it under warrunty I would look elsewhere to get the car fixed. I put an after market gear driven limited slip differential, new ring and pinion and the entire install kit for $1250 installed. Couple thousand? That's BS.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Mr. Mac

I asked my dealer about how changing my gear ratio from the 2:71 to 3:31 how would this affect my warranty. I would only lose warranty on the gears themselves, not the power train. So my take away is no, the dealer should not be on the hook for the gear mod, but any other damage yes, that's warranty work.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:23 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Mac
I asked my dealer about how changing my gear ratio from the 2:71 to 3:31 how would this affect my warranty. I would only lose warranty on the gears themselves, not the power train. So my take away is no, the dealer should not be on the hook for the gear mod, but any other damage yes, that's warranty work.
exactly
Old 07-21-2015, 02:13 PM
RyanT600

Derf00, it was definitely checked off under "warranty". When I bought the car I went back and forth with the sales manager asking a million times if he's sure the car is under warranty because the car has a boss302 intake manifold and roush exhaust, so I was skeptical. He kept reassuring me it is all under warranty. So for them to now tell me this part I didn't even know about is going to void a part of my warranty, I'd be a little upset.

The Ford I brought it to just told me that Ford did deny the fix under warranty. But I'm going to bring it to the Ford I bought it from tomorrow and go from there.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Mr. Mac

I've noticed that here in FL an awful lot of used cars on dealer's lots have only a 30 day warranty. Wish you the best of luck tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Should a Ford dealership cover parts on my vehicle under warranty that were modified