Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this terrible sound coming from my rear axle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

looks like a belt slipped in the tire from what I see, just might be the tires. Is there any kind of wobble in the car while driving?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:52 AM
KingRando

Belt slipped in the tire, how can you tell? Yes there is a slight wobble while driving

Did the tire cause my bearings to go bad? Did the car cause this to my tire? Is Ford going to blame my aftermarket tires? These Mickey Thompson tires are new from American Muscle, not even a year old. I've had them aligned and balanced twice (there was some wobble in the front)

Last edited by KingRando; 09-23-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I'm sorry I can't answer all those questions for you... just saying what it looks like from the video to me. I have had tires that have had this happen before.. just logically I would expect the tires would cause the bearings to prematurely wear. Bearings wouldn't cause the tires belts to slip.

I am no expert by any means, so it's best to go to a mechanic and find out exactly what is going on.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:53 PM
KingRando

Rotors seem fine to me, if they are warped I cannot tell. It's definitely not wobbling like the tires. So with that, it looks like my problem is either bad tires or bad rims... I can still hear grinding so my wheel bearings are probably shot because of the bad wheels like you mentioned.
I purchased these wheels from American Muscle's ebay account on 1/13/2015, I hope they work with me to resolve this. Will Ford fight me on the warranty work since these are after market rims?

Here's a video of the rotor, I'll try and get a better one.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:17 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

You can try putting those tires on the front and see if the noise moves to the front...if it does, then it's just the tires and your bearings are fine. The rotor looks good.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:19 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

If you still have the OEM wheels I would put them on before I take it in.... Just my opinion
Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Good idea svastano.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:36 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by KingRando
I jacked my car up last night and recorded my wheels moving. When I tried to jiggle the wheels there is a very slight movement, definitely shouldn't happen.

The video below speaks for itself, both wheels look like this. Please tell me it's wheel bearings. I really don't have the patience to fight Ford on their ****ty quality. I baby this car, I have not wrecked it or abused it. I'm about to cut my losses with this vehicle and never buy another Ford again...
Hi KingRando,

Please keep me in the loop with how your dealer trip goes; I can look into some additional assistance. What's your mileage?

Meagan
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM
KingRando

Originally Posted by svastano
If you still have the OEM wheels I would put them on before I take it in.... Just my opinion
Sold them for $500
Old 09-27-2015, 12:17 AM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ucinn
You can try putting those tires on the front and see if the noise moves to the front...if it does, then it's just the tires and your bearings are fine. The rotor looks good.
This is good advice. Start with the simple things first to get an idea of what the problem is. Discount tire will rotate your tires for free. I had what I thought was rear axle bearing noise in my '09 GT and replaced both axle bearings and seals. Noise was still there so I figured I'd live with it. Two weeks later I had the tires rotated and I noticed the noise move to the front. Bottom line was cupped tires. I'm still kicking myself.....

Quick Reply: What is this terrible sound coming from my rear axle?