Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a winter tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:18 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Choosing a winter tire

Hey Guys,

I have decided to get a winter sent of tires to use on my 17" stock rims. And I was hoping for some input on brand and model of tires.

I will be contacting tirerack tomorrow but I want to see what you guys think as well.

I don't need a performance winter tire or the top brand. Its for my daily driver and I drive mostly on interstate, which I think would warrant a different tire tread based on a magazine article I read in a car magazine recently (but its the first time I heard of that so that is why I am here).

Thank you.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Seriously consider the Michelin IceX.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I use the Michelin IceX too, the handling is very good, they track very well and they are quiet.
I have 3 winters on them and they are good for at least one or two more.
They are good in ice, I drove from Missouri to WI in an ice storm 3 yrs ago, 50 mph the whole way.
I've driven 45 mph in 4 inches of snow with confidence. I've had other winter tires, these are easily the best I've had. With the great traction and lifespan, I wouldn’t use anything else.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:03 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

Bridgestone Blizzaks. Had a set of them on 17" steel rims for my '06. Best winter tires I have ever driven. They have tremendous traction on packed snow and ice.

The Michelin IceX are really good too. I have them for my '07 GT on old 18" rims. Combined with the ABS and traction control, its a really confident ride in crappy weather.

And that's coming from a guy in Buffalo.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by feejay
Bridgestone Blizzaks. Had a set of them on 17" steel rims for my '06. Best winter tires I have ever driven. They have tremendous traction on packed snow and ice.

The Michelin IceX are really good too. I have them for my '07 GT on old 18" rims. Combined with the ABS and traction control, its a really confident ride in crappy weather.

And that's coming from a guy in Buffalo.
So as a man from Buffalo, would you bridgestone or michelin? Which set is quieter?
Old 10-20-2015, 10:03 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone tried the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:14 AM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
So as a man from Buffalo, would you bridgestone or michelin? Which set is quieter?
I dont think quiet is what you should be shooting for here. ;-)

The Michelins are ever so slightly quieter in the highway IMHO, but if I had it to do over, I would have gone with the Blizzaks again. Either one is an excellent choice, they are both terrific tires in the snow.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by feejay
I dont think quiet is what you should be shooting for here. ;-)

The Michelins are ever so slightly quieter in the highway IMHO, but if I had it to do over, I would have gone with the Blizzaks again. Either one is an excellent choice, they are both terrific tires in the snow.
I totally agree, that going with quiet is not the goal. But if you came back with a "either is good" type of thing. Than I would have gone with the set that is quieter.

What did you experience for you to say the Blizzaks are better than Michelin?
Old 10-20-2015, 06:56 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

honestly in my experience it's more important that you have winter tires than worrying about which one is slightly better than another one. I had Blizzak WS80s on my SRT-4 and they were outstanding. I have Firestone Winterforce UVs for my Ranger, and it's phenomenal in snow but it should be since it's a 4x4.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:25 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
honestly in my experience it's more important that you have winter tires than worrying about which one is slightly better than another one.
This^^^

I use Dunlop Wintersports and I like them.

Quick Reply: Choosing a winter tire