Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issue help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

Doesn't really sound like a brake booster issue. Brake booster usually results in stiff pedal feel, and lack of response under normal pedal pressure.

Excessive pedal travel and/or pumping to get the brakes to respond sound very much like air in the line or faulty master cylinder.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:12 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
Because its a easy repair/upgrade i can do myself that doesnt cost me much but most importantly i dont have to deal with incompetent dealer. I had too many bad experience with dealer warranty work and yes i have try dealers all around me even 1 hour away.
I get that if you know exactly what the problem is. But from the sound of things you are guessing on the problem. Why not let the dealer spend the money guessing what the problem is.

With todays braking systems it could be the pads, calipers, lines, ABS block, master cylinder, booster, a combination, the computer, etc...
Old 11-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Let us know if the booster fixes it when you get one that isn't damaged.

I think it's fair to say that the consensus on this forum is that it's not the booster but either air in the hydraulic system or a bad master cylinder (my secondary opinion).

Also, if you're not happy with the dealer, you could at least have them diagnose it and still do the work yourself. That way you're not just throwing parts at it or guessing.

That's what I do, pay them to diagnose it (when I don't have the equipment and/or knowledge to figure out) then I do the repairs myself. Still save a ton of money and you know what and how it's being done. Just don't cheap out or skimp on the work...

Last edited by Derf00; 11-06-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37 AM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Im pretty sure its the brake booster, in my first and second post i tested it and gave 3 specific reasons why its the booster. Cant be master cylinder as my pedal doesnt sink to the floor when i hold pressure on the brakes nor does it feels like i have air in my system.

Last edited by winkawak; 11-06-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:14 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

unbelievable ordered from cjpony and same thing happened !
Old 12-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So what ever happened to this? Did you find your problem?

P.S. on a side note, I had the brake booster check valve crack on me a couple weeks back. This essentially rendered the brake booster absent/damaged/broken. As expected, the pedal was very hard to push. The pedal did not go to the floor.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:55 AM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
So what ever happened to this? Did you find your problem?

P.S. on a side note, I had the brake booster check valve crack on me a couple weeks back. This essentially rendered the brake booster absent/damaged/broken. As expected, the pedal was very hard to push. The pedal did not go to the floor.
It was a long process, it was out of stock and i had to wait for cjpony to ship the new booster. When i finally received it, it didnt contain the check valve which took another week to get settled. They refuse to admit the check valve came with it which was why my first order was returned due to damaged check valve. Long story short, ill be reusing the stock check valve and start the install tomorrow hopefully since now im off from school.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:14 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Finally got around doing it today, took longer and had to move alot of things out of the way than i expected. Putting in the brake booster and lining it up was also abit tricky than expected. Almost everything is hooked up, need to connect one of the brake lines into the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. Unfortunately ran out of daylight and was getting eat alive by mosquitoes. Not sure why one of the brake line is so hard to thread back into the master cylinder.

update
just put everything together but now when brake pedal is released it squeals like no tomorrow. Possible bad booster?

Last edited by winkawak; 12-24-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I think now you have screwed yourself by messing with something under warranty in the first place.

Should have taken it to the dealer for a free fix.

Most everyone here is not really up on the parts you have asked about, including myself.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:57 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Just an observation. Based on what you have put in this thread, the perception of dealer "incompetence" cant be worse than your lack of experience. Put the original back on and take it in to the dealer is my suggestion. At this point, you are simply throwing parts at it.
While internet research is a very useful tool, it is not hands on experience.

Don't take this wrong. Because many of us learned things the same way as you are currently doing, we know by experience, some things should be left to others with more experience. Just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD.

Quick Reply: Brake issue help please