Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange stereo problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Default Strange stereo problem.

My vehicle: 2005 Black V6, built 04/05.

I was leaving my parents' house on Saturday. After driving about 1/2 mile I decided to turn on the stereo (shaker 500). I've never had any problems with it before (it is a "B" series).

I hit FM and it turned on to 94.9 where I had left it before. I didn't hear any sound, so I figured the volume must be all the way down, but I didn't remember turning it down as I never do that.

When I tried to turn it up, the stereo was unresponsive. After a moment, the 9 went away, leaving "4.9 [time]" on the display (with the real time, ofcourse).

I tried to turn it off, but it didn't do anything.

When I got to a stoplight, I turned the vehicle off and opened the door slightly... no change. Still didn't turn off.

So I drove on to return the DVD to the store on my way home. Eventually the 4.9 went away leaving only the clock; however, the clock gave accurate time the whole way.

Stereo was unchanged, though.. wouldn't do anything other than display time.

When I got to the video store, I got out and the time was still displaying on the stereo... weird. A moment later, I returned to the car because I had forgotten the video. While I was leaning into the car to get the video, the time goes away.

After returning the video and getting back into the car, the stereo worked perfectly again.

Strange, but figured I would share.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Strange stereo problem.

Yep, a few people have had the same problem. Mine was built 6/6 and has done the same thing 3 times (Also a Shaker 500), but it seems to clear up on it's own if you shut the car off for a few minutes. Hasn't gotten worse... yet.

Hoose84
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Well, it did it to me again this morning. I was sitting in the car with my son waiting for his bus to pick him up.

After he left, I pressed "FM/AM" and nothing happened. I had to "reboot" the car before the stereo would work (leave the car completely off for about 30 seconds).
Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

Mine didn't do that, but I did have a Strange issue last week. My car was built 09/15/04. I have the original shaker 1000 in it. I only have very few issues playing cd's. Not enough to even have the dealer replace it. One day last week, I get in and start the car. The only sound coming from the stereo was the bass? No music or words, just the bass. [sm=dontgetit.gif]I could use the volume and make it get louder, but that's it. I tried many radio stations and even the cd player, but the same results. Finally, I turned off the car, waited for about 10-15 seconds, and restarted it. No more problems? Really weird![&:]

Dave...

Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

WHAT!!!???!!! You mean there are problems with the stereo in the new mustang?!?!

Was my sarcasm too thick?
I had my "B" unit replaced once and the new "B" unit is worse than the first one. I can only hope that Ford will finally have a working stereo before my warranty expires. Maybe 2007 is the year...
Old 11-22-2005, 12:45 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

The Shaker blows! Take it out and put in an aftermarket. If it doesn't skip it overheats, if it doesn't overheat it shorts out its a real piece of crap. I will admit it sounds great when it works but mine hasn't worked in 9 months cause its sitting in my kitchen cupboard. Dump it

Put in something reliable.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:58 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

No problem with my Shaker 500 yet! Car was built March 05.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

ahh ok sorry guys. Take it into the dealer make them replace it again. Thats why I replaced mine cause the replacement sucked just as bad. But according to this forum it has gotten better. But it won't improve again unless you take to back to Ford. Maybe they are aware of this problem too and are working it out but if they don't know they won't fix it. Sorry best advice I can give you.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:15 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I must be a lucky one - my car was built in January of 2005 and I have YET (currently knocking on my wooden desk) to have a problem with it. It even reads my mp3's and no skipping Guess I still got 2+ years to keep my eye - er, uh ear on it [8D]

Quick Reply: Strange stereo problem.