Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

end links placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default end links placement

Hey Guys,

I just changed my end links. The rubber housing around the ball joint had broken off on each one.

After replacing them, there seems to be a clunking sound that is different than before, sounds bad. I am aware of the mustang clunk with struts and I will tackle that next, but for now I want to make sure I have end links connected right.

As I was finishing up, I thought to myself, these are going on much easier than they were coming off. I then realized I may have attached to the end link to the suspension in the wrong place. So I want to know is which side does the end link connect to the strut (not sure if that is what it is called, still learning the jargon)? There seems to be a hole on both sides of it and I put on the one closer to the grille of the car. Is that bad? Should I move it to the back one?

I considered since they are new and the control arms and tie rods were replaced about a year or two ago, the worse clunking sound could be coming from the strut issues, just amplified because other parts are newer. But I am not sure of that.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Looks like they belong in the rear holes.

From the factory shop manual

Norm
Old 10-24-2016, 07:12 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Yup, I found this picture about 2 or 3 days after posting and receiving no replies. Man was it tucked away somewhere. I think I found it from another thread that was asking another question, and the reference they used had a link for sway bar.

But I changed it over yesterday. No more noise, no more Mustang clunk!!! I put off spending the money to fix this for a least 2 years thinking it was the strut clunk often talked about. Low and behold, it was just the end links.

There is very little room to tighten these down. I tried taking off the wheel, but tilting the car on a jack just put strain on the sway-bar and end links. Couldn't do it. Had to do it the hard way with wrenches and quarter turns until tight.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but it's good to hear it's fixed.

If you ever have to deal with endlinks again, jacking up both front tires clear of the ground (letting them droop about equally) avoids preloading the bar. For work not requiring you to actually get under the car, having a second floor jack can be more than just a luxury. Otherwise, set two jackstands.

Norm
Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but it's good to hear it's fixed.

If you ever have to deal with endlinks again, jacking up both front tires clear of the ground (letting them droop about equally) avoids preloading the bar. For work not requiring you to actually get under the car, having a second floor jack can be more than just a luxury. Otherwise, set two jackstands.

Norm
I need a garage. I am stock piling tools and am running out of room.

I thought about getting my jack for emergencies from my trunk, but I didn't think that was the best idea and wasn't sure if would elevate the stress. Guess I know better now.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The easier method (for future reference) is to remove the sway bar with the end links still attached. Put the new end links onto the bar, then put the bar with the new end links back in.

The upper part of the end link is much easier to install than the lower part (as you have found out) because you have more space to work with.