Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Clunk...finally figured it out...and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:18 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default The Clunk...finally figured it out...and questions

Hey Guys,

I have been chasing the clunk for a while now and I finally got it. It was my end-links. Which is odd because I just replaced them 6 months ago. So naturally, I had eliminated them from the list of possibilities.

Question: Until I get new end-links, is there any issue with driving the car without a sway-bar attached on the front end? As long as I don't fly around turns, there shouldn't be any damage to the car, correct?

Question 2: Some of the creaking noise I was getting was also eliminated when I detached the sway bar. So that leads me to believe the bushing for the front bar need replaced. But to be sure, is there any reason to replace the sway-bar itself? If I have to replace the end-links and now the bushings for the sway-bar, anything else?

Question 3: The bad end-links are moog. Has anyone every done a warranty replacement with them before?

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:26 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

1: You can drive without the front swaybar. Many drag cars have no front sway bar.
2: Only reason to replace the front sway bar is to go with a firmer one, to be even more flat in the corners.
torquing all the bolts and then re-torquing them after a week is key to make sure there is no creaking, using loctite on the threads before bolting in helps.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Considering the price of the endlinks I think you're better off just buying new ones. These look good, although I have no experience with them: http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-rea...link-0510.html

I just got rid of the whole setup and went with the Ford Racing front and rear anti roll bar kit, which is the same as the Eibach, only cheaper, the instructions even said Eibach on them
Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Considering the price of the endlinks I think you're better off just buying new ones. These look good, although I have no experience with them: http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-rea...link-0510.html
Those are OEM replacement end links for the rear anti-sway bar. The ones at the front are different.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Ah, I thought the clunk was at the back, sorry. I have the Moogs up front and they've worked fine for a while now even with the track abuse. I keep them packed with grease. My front bar was clunking and it turned out the bushings were a bit loose. Torqued them properly and the noise disappeared.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 PM
mustang beauty

Default Awful sound coming from front

Whenever I drive in extreme heat my front end makes a terrible sound when I am only turning corners. If I go straight there is no noise if I turn right or left there is a severe grinding noise this only occurs when it is very hot outside can anybody help me understand why
Old 06-24-2017, 06:34 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang beauty
Whenever I drive in extreme heat my front end makes a terrible sound when I am only turning corners. If I go straight there is no noise if I turn right or left there is a severe grinding noise this only occurs when it is very hot outside can anybody help me understand why
FYI, You should really start your own thread. This is called thread highjacking and it is frowned upon.

That being said, I am not how temperature would make a difference, but I would check your wheel well lining. I knew someone who was have the same issue regardless of the temperature. The wheel well lining had come loose and it was scrapping it with the tire every time she turned. I got under and reattached it. Sounds went away.