Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:26 PM
lyvemyche

Default 2014 Radio Problems

Good Evening gentlemen, I have a 2014 Mustang that has an intermittent problem with the radio. I have seen other posts elsewhere online of similar problems with other mustangs and F-150s. What happens is, the
radio radio
will work fine, then one day it will POP really loud then the audio will go out. Sometimes it will come back on in a few seconds, other times I have to restart the car. Sometimes it wont come on at all. Only the clock will flash randomly. Once when it did that I went to pull the head unit out of the car to check it out and bumping it around in there, it started back. After that it worked fine for months, then same thing happened. I got in there, banged it around a bit and it worked again for just a few days this time, another time, a few weeks, another time only a day, etc... Obviously there is a short somewhere inside. I suspect a cold solder joint or just a bad component. Does anyone have any experience in opening it up and finding the culprit on the
circuit circuit
board? Has anyone else had a similar problem? and If so, how did you correct it. Short of replacing the radio of course. I know there are aftermarket
radios radios
available, but they require some special stuff to get the sync
system system
and steering wheel controls to still work... Which I'm not completely against. But for budget reasons, I'd rather fix this one. Any help anyone can offer would certainly be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 PM
umirinaesthetics

In for answers. Ive had the same issue on my Mustang for a few months now. Time just flashes, and if you press the Load button for the CD, it will begin making a noise as if it was pushing out a CD. There are a few options for aftermarket, but like you,I rather fix this one if its possible, or.... Just add an x-pipe to my existing flowmaster axleback
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 AM
lyvemyche

I got back in there this weekend and pulled the head unit out again. I am going to take it apart and inspect the board for bad solder joints or other **** to be wrong... Ill let you know what I find out.For you other guys that have "MUSTANG" in the display..... When I unplugged my head unit, mine changed from the clock to "MUSTANG" so it must default to that when the radio is not detected.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Hussam AlBaghdadi

Default Hey bro

Hey bro .. i have the same problem what is the head unit ?? Where can i find it
Old 04-30-2018, 08:03 AM
Strato08

I had the same problem. I changed all of the fuses and the call ford customer service. They told me to uphook the battery cables and wait 30 minutes the hook them back up. Also to open door, turn on the key on, then off when the radio is flashing, then turn it off and close the door. It should have reset the radio. It did not work. I also had a load popping sound when may radio stopped working. I tried everything myself. Finally took it to a dealer and they charged me $107 to look at it and tell me the radio is bad. Go figure. They want over $600 to replace the radio. I decided to take it to a radio shop and have a Mustang kit/Kenwood radio put in that is much nicer and is made for mustang. I also called Ford and I'm trying to get them to cover the cost of the radio. It should not burn out this soon. I really think there might be a defect in the OEM radio. I have the Shaker radio without the Nav. Ford said they would get back to me in two days. That was last week and I still have not received a response. Any suggestions about what type of radio to put in for an upgrade? I like the Kenwood DDX 795 with the Maestro Kit.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:07 AM
Strato08

Default Sorry for the spelling errors, I typed it too quick

Originally Posted by Strato08
I had the same problem. I changed all of the fuses and the call ford customer service. They told me to uphook the battery cables and wait 30 minutes the hook them back up. Also to open door, turn on the key on, then off when the radio is flashing, then turn it off and close the door. It should have reset the radio. It did not work. I also had a load popping sound when may radio stopped working. I tried everything myself. Finally took it to a dealer and they charged me $107 to look at it and tell me the radio is bad. Go figure. They want over $600 to replace the radio. I decided to take it to a radio shop and have a Mustang kit/Kenwood radio put in that is much nicer and is made for mustang. I also called Ford and I'm trying to get them to cover the cost of the radio. It should not burn out this soon. I really think there might be a defect in the OEM radio. I have the Shaker radio without the Nav. Ford said they would get back to me in two days. That was last week and I still have not received a response. Any suggestions about what type of radio to put in for an upgrade? I like the Kenwood DDX 795 with the Maestro Kit.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:11 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Loose and/or cold solder joints inside the radio. Someone, I read, took theirs apart and
had the solder joints gone over, but you can do that yourself if you know how to solder.

I had the Shaker 500 unit, but I put an Eonon Android radio in mine, much better...

The unit behind the dash is still the big double din unit, the mount brackets are in a different
spot, but it's the same radio. The bezel is the face plate, so the radio looks like the
shaker unit without a face plate on it when you remove the dash bezel.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Crystal Blethen

did they cover the cost? My radio just went out. Loud popping noise and now 2 days it wont work. Time just flashes.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:21 PM
gthoma17

Hello, Lyvemyche, did you ever figure out the root cause to your radio issues? I recently purchased a 2014 Mustang and I'm having the exact same issues.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Travdog24

Default 2014 shaker problems

Has anyone figured out the stuck radio yet? I just went and ordered a sub and new Infinitis for the doors. And now my radio is stuck..!?!?

Quick Reply: 2014 Radio Problems