Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Curious

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:28 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Key Fob Curious

Saturday night I was at a party, not enjoying myself, mind wandered. Got to thinking about my key fob of all things. Read over the years about how much Ford wanted to charge for a new key, and that other methods were available. Was thinking that maybe my fob's functions were not as active as before, maybe the door lock/unlock actions on the car were jumping into action as quickly as before. Like I said my mind was wandering. What would happen if the battery got tired on me all a sudden, didn't and don't have a clue. This is the first "key fob" car I have had. Never have read about "key fob maintenance" - reckon they don't plan for their demise.

Anyway, just wondering how many have changed their battery in their key fob? Did anything lead you to do it? Just for the hell of it? I changed mine when I got home that night. its a "2032" battery. I took delivery on my GT on 18 February 2005 which is just a tad over thirteen years ago. I haven't checked, and I didn't check the voltage on a new "2032" but I did check the old one's voltage. After that long it was still 3.066 on one meter and 3.177 on another.

So, like I said, just curious. FWIW
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
Saturday night I was at a party, not enjoying myself, mind wandered. Got to thinking about my key fob of all things. Read over the years about how much Ford wanted to charge for a new key, and that other methods were available. Was thinking that maybe my fob's functions were not as active as before, maybe the door lock/unlock actions on the car were jumping into action as quickly as before. Like I said my mind was wandering. What would happen if the battery got tired on me all a sudden, didn't and don't have a clue. This is the first "key fob" car I have had. Never have read about "key fob maintenance" - reckon they don't plan for their demise.

Anyway, just wondering how many have changed their battery in their key fob? Did anything lead you to do it? Just for the hell of it? I changed mine when I got home that night. its a "2032" battery. I took delivery on my GT on 18 February 2005 which is just a tad over thirteen years ago. I haven't checked, and I didn't check the voltage on a new "2032" but I did check the old one's voltage. After that long it was still 3.066 on one meter and 3.177 on another.

So, like I said, just curious. FWIW
My FOB's battery is still original, 2004, and a few nites ago, it went through the wash machine cycle in my pants pocket. I opened it up, determined the FOB was pretty bullet-proof, silicone rubber, mostly, seals completely around periphery. Entire internal compartment, including electronics was dry! I wondered though about the agitator bouncing that chip key around so long. No sweat. Works just fine. imp
Old 03-22-2018, 10:14 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Still on my original 2007 model....that I got December 23, 2006. I have seen some on eBay for sale. Thought about getting a spare. Anyone ever purchased one from eBay?
Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

There are tons of different aftermarket ones available... i think Duracell battery even makes key fobs...

one of my dads remotes died, but it has a 2025 battery, & the one that works has a bigger 2032.

Both still worked great until yesterday, & you can still start the engine with the fob without a battery in the storage compartment & push the start button, of course.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I got two new ones on eBay, with batteries, for $7.00, they worked just fine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Remote...-/253417596830

Easy to program, but you have to do them all, even the original/older ones if you want
to keep them working:

For my 2008, you key on/off 10 times, on the 10th, leave it in run, and the doors
will lock. Then you press unlock on each FOB you want programmed, something like
that.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
I got two new ones on eBay, with batteries, for $7.00, they worked just fine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Remote...-/253417596830

Easy to program, but you have to do them all, even the original/older ones if you want
to keep them working:

For my 2008, you key on/off 10 times, on the 10th, leave it in run, and the doors
will lock. Then you press unlock on each FOB you want programmed, something like
that.
yeah...

as long as they work
Old 03-01-2019, 04:00 PM
batterykid

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
yeah...

as long as they work
Yeah, you gotta be careful. I bought a 10-pack of CR2032 batteries from Amazon last week and half of them had less than 1 volt of charge left! (they are 3 volt batteries)
Old 03-01-2019, 06:37 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by batterykid
Yeah, you gotta be careful. I bought a 10-pack of CR2032 batteries from Amazon last week and half of them had less than 1 volt of charge left! (they are 3 volt batteries)
Well! That is discouraging! I've always had faith in those batteries. Going to start testing those suckers!

On the other hand, I have an old HP Financial Calculator from the old days, must be better than 30 years old, if I have ever changed out the batteries it was at least 20 years ago.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Those AMAZON batteries were probably from China. They could have been returned if half
of them were defective... I would not have accepted that, I would have complained..
Old 03-02-2019, 02:04 PM
batterykid

Yeah, I'm going to a do a video review of the batteries that didn't work. I've been making "how-to" videos on how to change every Mustang fob battery over the years. It's crazy how many bad/fake batteries are on Amazon right now. There will be a fallout someday with Amazon and all the fake products on there right now. (my 'Stang page: https://fobbattery.com/vehicles/ford/mustang/ )

Quick Reply: Key Fob Curious