Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading base level brakes to Brembo!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:18 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default Upgrading base level brakes to Brembo!

Inspired by a thread on another forum, I've started collecting parts to upgrade the brakes on my base level 2014 Mustang GT. I've upgraded under the hood with a supercharger; I probably should have stopping power to match!

I considered the S550 calipers after reading this thread but decided to keep it with S197 style brakes (S550 calipers would be more expensive and require S197 GT500 15" rotors).

After some consideration a I've decided on the less expensive option of the 2014 Brembo brakes for the front of my car but I learned there were other sources for Brembos, or Bremb-no calipers as I call them.

Sourcing the 2014 Brembo calipers wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I elected for the re-manufactured, less expensive option. No one seems to have them in stock, or if they do they only stock one side! I found them at O'Rielly's Auto-parts online. Here are the links:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=..._10039%3DFront
and
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=..._10039%3DFront

Here are the calipers when I received them:

I've also found the proper size brake shields used on eBay in what appears to be a great condition. I got both for approximately the price of one new!

I would need larger rotors for the calipers. A friend had Brembos put on his car, and had slotted and drilled rotors put on the car at the same time. He told me yesterday he was going to dig out the Brembo package rotors that they threw in his trunk to let me see if I want those. If they are low mileage/in good shape, I'll take 'em!

I also ordered the stainless steel lines and StopTech brake pads...
Here is where I'm at with the project:
$241.66 - "Brembo" calipers from O'Reilly Auto Parts -Left & Right (Includes $64.00 in core charges)
$32.50 - used GT500 brake shields
$82.18 - G2 caliper paint - Grabber Blue
$201.43 - Stainless steel (front & back) brake lines, StopTech pads (front)
$3.72 - Brembo brake caliper decals (I had an Amazon credit!)
$0.00 - 14" Ford take-off rotors

$561.47 - Total

I'm trying to decide if I want to hold on to my stock calipers or turn them in for the $64 in core charges...

Finding time to get everything sorted and on the car though is a PITA! This past Sunday I jacked up the rear of the car and removed the rear calipers for painting.

This past Tuesday, I spent some time cleaning the rear calipers. Last night I cleaned up my man-cave in the basement so I can paint the calipers on my work bench in a temperature and humidity stable environment. Hopefully I'll figure out a way to support all four calipers on my work bench at the same time because I'd like to paint them all this Saturday, and once I mix the hardener into the paint, I've got to use it or through it out!
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Thats cool. I just ordered the 6 piston brembos from LMR. They had the best price out of anyone buy a few hundred dollars. I also ordered new wheels and tires from AM but they came scratched so I returned them and got my refund. Im currently waiting on my wheel and tire package from CJ pony parts which is suppose to be at the house on the 9th. AM was really good about taking the wheels back. Took some pictures and returned the wheels. Actually UPS lost three wheels but AM still refunded me. Although I think they got the wheels back. I did file a claim for lost merchandise after initially finding out that three wheels were missing. I called AM as soon as I found out they were missing and they basically took over the claim. I ordered the Laguna Seca wheels. So I'm excited about the new look and stopping power.

Let us know how ur new brembos work out.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:51 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Thats cool. I just ordered the 6 piston brembos from LMR. They had the best price out of anyone buy a few hundred dollars. I also ordered new wheels and tires from AM but they came scratched so I returned them and got my refund. Im currently waiting on my wheel and tire package from CJ pony parts which is suppose to be at the house on the 9th. AM was really good about taking the wheels back. Took some pictures and returned the wheels. Actually UPS lost three wheels but AM still refunded me. Although I think they got the wheels back. I did file a claim for lost merchandise after initially finding out that three wheels were missing. I called AM as soon as I found out they were missing and they basically took over the claim. I ordered the Laguna Seca wheels. So I'm excited about the new look and stopping power.

Let us know how ur new brembos work out.
Good luck with yours! I'm jealous of the 6 piston setup. The pads are huge!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:12 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default Upgrading base level brakes to Brembos! DONE!!!

Made some progress last night and today. This wasn't fun at all! LOL

Last edited by GLOCKer; 04-14-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:54 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I pulled all of the masking off the calipers this morning and I have to say, I'm pretty happy with how they came out!

On a negative note though, installation was stopped in it tracks due to a bad banjo bolt. A little of the thread on one of the bolts is damaged and I don't want to risk messing up the threads on the caliper. After running to Advanced Auto and Napa, I learned that no one stock these bolts! So this is as far as we got today...
Old 04-08-2018, 12:59 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Question: The new stainless brake lines came with aluminum washers. Should I chuck them and get copper washers?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Decals on...
Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Looks good.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:55 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Today was a LONG day!
Rear brakes went on first...

Front calipers went on next...

Here is the driver side buttoned up with pads and stainless braided lines installed...

On the ground...

Old 04-14-2018, 09:02 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Awesome sauce

Quick Reply: Upgrading base level brakes to Brembo!