Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with wide tires

Old 11-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

Default Issue with wide tires

I love my new 255/45/R18 tires but im new to the experience of driving on them i was wondering if any of you experts out there can answer a question for me

when i am coming to a stop on uneven pavement maybe a little bit of a pothole or something and im at the same time on the brake the wheels turn on their own pretty dramatically.. i can hold them steady with no problem but its really strage to see the wheels just get pushed around like that.

This is the first time ive ever been on wheels this wide. am i suffering from really GOOD traction? seems like i gotta hold it pretty steady more often.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:52 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Issue with wide tires

I've noticed with my big ole tires (wide that is!!!) that my car seems to try to steer itself when hitting un-even sections of the road more than I am used to. I think its just a characteristic of that much rubber contacting the road.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

............ I think its just a characteristic of that much rubber contacting the road.

Exactly

And Stckman when you gonna update that sig!

Old 11-10-2005, 04:35 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Hey stickman lets see some pics of your new shoes![sm=Flahssssss.gif]im getting the same size in black bullitts
Old 11-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

It is a common problem for wider tires. As was mentioned with more rubber contact with the road the more the tires will “track†or what’s known as following groves, lines, ect in the pavement.

Also an interesting note is with wider tires and more rubber contact with the road the less traction you have in rain and snow…
Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Stckman

I love my new 255/45/R18 tires but im new to the experience of driving on them i was wondering if any of you experts out there can answer a question for me

when i am coming to a stop on uneven pavement maybe a little bit of a pothole or something and im at the same time on the brake the wheels turn on their own pretty dramatically.. i can hold them steady with no problem but its really strage to see the wheels just get pushed around like that.

This is the first time ive ever been on wheels this wide. am i suffering from really GOOD traction? seems like i gotta hold it pretty steady more often.
You can remedy the 'tracking' you're getting with the wider tires by adjusting the Caster with a set of Caster/Camber plates. The downside to getting less 'tracking' is that it your turning response will be a little worse/require more effort or can put excessive wear on your P/S pump.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:20 AM
FastBackDan
2nd Gear Member

It's called groove woundering. I had this problem with my 02 Z28. I had 275/45/17 and went up to 285/45/17 and it would pull so bad that I hated to drive it because of that. Thats why I will not go to big in the front. Now someone told me if you go wider in the rear this will help take some off the front, but I don't know.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

You should try driving a Stree Rod with 22" wide Mickies in the rear! the car wanders like it's drunk!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torch red

Hey stickman lets see some pics of your new shoes![sm=Flahssssss.gif]im getting the same size in black bullitts
Just updated my Sig image.