Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front plate bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM
RobD

Default Front plate bracket?

Is there a bracket available for mounting a front plate? I see the two dimples in the front bumper for screws, but they seem too close together to mount the plate directly, not that I want it right on the bumper, anyway. TIA
Old 11-16-2005, 08:15 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Front plate bracket?

ORIGINAL: RobD

Is there a bracket available for mounting a front plate? I see the two dimples in the front bumper for screws, but they seem too close together to mount the plate directly, not that I want it right on the bumper, anyway. TIA
As far as I know, there is no bracket. My local Ford dealer said there wasn't one.

The dimples are exactly seven inches apart, which matches my license plate exactly. You need to pick up some license plate mounting screws from an auto parts store to mount a license plate.

I keep my front plate, a package of mounting screws, and a nut driver in the trunk in case I ever get hassled about no front plate. I can put it on in less than two minutes, but I want to put off defacing my front bumper for as long as possible.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 AM
RobD

Thanks Scott. I've got to mount mine, we have random state inspection sticker checks and if you have no front plate, the cop tickets you on the spot. They don't want to hear anything.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:05 AM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

I looked ALL OVER for a bracket because I refuse to drill holes in my bumper. As far as I know, there is not one made. I even considered making one myself but came up with a different alternative:

I bought some "Exterior" 3M double sided mounting tape. Looks alot like what trim and emblems are mounted with. I put it around the edge of the plate on the top and 1/2 way down the sides and trimmed it to the width of the "roll-down" on the sides of the license plate. Then I put a triple thickness strip of the tape from the top center of the plate halfway down. I then carefully bent the plate to match the curvature of the bumper and placed it to the bumper.

WOW, that dude is stuck on there BIG TIME. I've had it on there about a month or so and it is stuck on there VERY WELL. I'm concerned that if I ever need to get it off, it will be a major pain.....but I don't have holes in my bumper ! I know later I can remove it much like when guys remove factory emblems with a hair dryer, floss / fishing line, and sticker remover.

This was my alternative to drilling my baby......and I like it !

By the way, I got the exterior 3M tape at WalMart in the hardware dept. It is gray in color and one package will leave you plenty left over.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I used that tape on my plenum intake cover to mount an old pony I had laying around. It does do the trick.