Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 PM
steve59

Default Some questions

Hi all

I'm new here. I bought recently a 2005 4.6 with only 2500 km's on the clock, and I'm happy with it. Not really a sportscar, but nice performance and a nice sound for cheap money.

I have some questions.

- The lights are not really bad, but not good either. I think about to switch to more powerfull bulbs (100 W?), but the plastics of the lamps let me hesitate. Are there other solutions?

- Chip-tuning. According to the manual, this car is build for less fuel quality (only 87 octan???), so chiptuning should be possible? But I'm not sure about specs of fuel (american/european?)

- As I'm happy with this car, I think about keeping it and improve it here and there OR to wait for the new 5.0. What do you think, keep it or tune it?

- I have strange problem. Sometimes the car don't start. I just have to take my a$$ from the seat and it will start. What about this?

- I've seen in the photo-galery someone who fitted a navigation-system (I think it was Pioneer?). Are there some easy and not to expensive solutions for upgrading to navigation, while keeping CD-mp3-charger OR installing an I-pod?

Ok, lot of questions :-)

Steve
Old 11-29-2005, 09:01 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Some questions

alright, i will take a shot at these questions...

lights: yes you can change them to much higher brightnesses, i'v seen many different bulbs available but i never saved the sites

chip tuning: yes you can retune this car, and it's not too hard either. most mustang sites sell the xcal2, this should o the trick

modding: i think you are talking about the 07 shelby cobra 5.4L engine? if you are, i dont think they will be very easy to get ahold of, so i say mod this one, if you want hp you can always s/c or turbo

starting problem: i have no idea, that is just weird, maybe you should ask your dealer

nav system: there are a bunch available, i have a pioneer one myself. most of them (i think all of them but i cannot be too sure) play cd/mp3/dvd. as for the ipod there are a lot of other systems that can integrate it into your sterio, i know the monstor one is the officially supported one by apple. as for the non-expencive solution to the navigation system replacement, pretty much every one runs for about 1000+ and the pioneer one that fits right into the entire slot is around 1.5K

hope it helps, chris
Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Be careful changing out the headlamp bulbs.

There are a few aftermarket bright white bulbs out there.. and they WILL make a difference. BUT beware of upgrading to a higher voltage bulb as the reflector is a cheap plastic that will melt.. AND.. the new mustangs have a "Smart Panel" in the electric system which very well could shut down your headlamps if they draw too many amps.

Saleen is making true HID Headlights for this mustang.. complete Headlight Assembly... if you REALLY want to upgrade... THAT is the way to go!

Personally, I found my headlights to be plenty bright.. but their aiming sucked... I adjusted them higher and more stright out forward and am quite happy with them now.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
steve59

first thank you for your answers and the tips.. I had not much time to reply earlier.

and the pioneer one that fits right into the entire slot is around 1.5K
can you tell me which one it is? Please? How much time will it take to change the unit?

About tuning, the problem is that with the very strict limitation it is not possible to make much more than chip-tuning.

But probably to upgrade to higher octane (95 or 98 oct is usual here) will help a bit?

Old 12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

Personally, I found my headlights to be plenty bright.. but their aiming sucked... I adjusted them higher and more stright out forward and am quite happy with them now.
Ditto on this - apparently Saleen doesn't re-aim (or failed to do so correctly on mine [&:] ) the headlights after lowering the car. My headlights were pointed VERY low to the ground. After a little tweaking, I am fairly happy with the lights.

I MAY upgrade to the Saleen HID's, but then again my car is a show car which equates to minimal driving at night anyway - so hard to justify.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:08 PM
chord509
1st Gear Member

Check out http://www.superhids.com/. They have a MUCH cheaper solution than the $1100 Saleen solution. The H13 model is a replacement bulb for the '05 Mustangs.