Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink mirror install

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 06:23 PM
RedHot05GT
1st Gear Member

Default Homelink mirror install

I just got the Ford auto-dimming Homelink mirror with compass. Does anyone have the installation instructions that they could post?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2006, 08:40 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Homelink mirror install

Fn-A man, I was just looking at getting one of those. I was even contemplating just kinda making my own out of the maplight buttons and doing some jimmy-rigging of a taken apart garage door opener.

How much did you pay for it? Also, do you know if they have just an option for the visor as well?

As far as wiring it in, you may just need to tap into the power and ground from the map lights? Don't know for sure though.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 PM
RedHot05GT
1st Gear Member

I got it as a gift for Xmas. The dealer said that any accessory listed for the 2005 Mustang on fordaccessoriesstore.com, the car is already wired for it... and this mirror it on there, so I was hoping to get the exact info.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Please let me know how it goes for you. I am seriously considering this due to the el cheapo sun visors being too flimsy to hold my garage remote...it keeps falling off. I'm still getting used to this "fully loaded" mustang GT not having a whole lot...compared to the loaded 300C I traded for it that is.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:41 AM
05vert
1st Gear Member

I bought a Gentex auto dimming, homelink, temp/compass mirror. I am 99% sure it the the same as the ford accessories one, Gentex makes them. I got it off ebay for a little over half the price of the ford one, had a local car audio/security shop do the install. Works great!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

An alarm shop installed mine for the dealership...

Yes... the Gentex unit is EXACTLY the same thing as the Ford unit.

I absolutely love mine!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:37 PM
RedHot05GT
1st Gear Member

Well I got it installed. The included operating instructions say Gentex even though the mirror itself does not. Save your money and get the Gentex. There are no install instructions with mine but it wasn't hard.

The car isn't "pre-wired"... I removed the map light assembly and the driver's visor and was then able to run the power cable above the headliner and over to the plastic pillar cover, down the inside of the cover to the left side of the dash, then over to the middle where I connected it to the ground, 12v and 12v acc wires I was already using for my Parrot handsfree kit... off the stereo harness in my particular case. It works great... love it. Just glad I'm not the one that paid Ford's price for it.

I had a tough time getting the stock mirror off... it seemed to be on with a U-shaped clip type thing. I didn't damage anything but the old mirror in removal but if someone knows the right way to get that off, it might be helpful to others.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Blackness
1st Gear Member

any pictures??
Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

Who much did everyone pay for the install????
Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Twister086
2nd Gear Member

are you 100% sure it wasnt already prewired because it should only take a power and ground wire, i popped my maplight out and found 5 wires in the car harness connector, and only three going to the map lights. i am pretty sure those extra two wires are intended for the upgraded mirror... i didnt have my meter on me when i ddi this but i will check tonight... i was plannin on using the prewired mirror wires to power my radar detector...

Quick Reply: Homelink mirror install