Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 mustang headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:55 PM
sendic

Default 06 mustang headlights

Hi all

This is my first post here, so please be gentle if I'm going over something that has already been discussed!

My girlfriend has a 06 mustang. She mainly does city driving so hasn't noticed this before, but she made a long road trip last weekend and noticed this problem.

The high beams on the car are fine, but she noticed something strange about the low beams. The angle/height of the low beams seems to be ok, but she finds that the light is focused too close to the car, ie the lo beams might illuminate something 300 feet away, but the intensity of the light is greatest 100 feet from the car. (i just picked those numbers off the top of my head to give you an idea what im talking about)

She's uncomfortable driving the car at nightime now because she feels she cant see the road very well with her low beams. She went to the ford dealership today but one guy (idiot) completely misunderstood her and said they couldnt adjust the height of the beams or the car wouldnt pass inspection and the cops would pull her over. Another guy said his wife had experienced something similar on her thunderbird and he had bought her some replacment high wattage bulbs.

Have any of you come across a problem like this? can we manually adjust the point where the low beams focus?

Thanks! Great forum!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM
RemainVayne
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 06 mustang headlights

If you look in the manual there is a section on how to adjust the vertical height of the light bulbs. But I don't know if that would help out that much because these bulbs are horrible. I replaced mine with higher wattage bulbs and the differfence is amazing! So I would try that first because she may get pulled over (very slight chance) for having her bulbs tilted up too high.

The bulb size is H13 or 9008 -- they are the same thing.

Also try buying them in a pair (along with new fog light bulbs) because I also have high wattage bulbs in my fogs too and when I have both my headlights and fogs on, the roads are very well lit up.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM
sendic

ORIGINAL: RemainVayne

If you look in the manual there is a section on how to adjust the vertical height of the light bulbs. But I don't know if that would help out that much because these bulbs are horrible. I replaced mine with higher wattage bulbs and the differfence is amazing! So I would try that first because she may get pulled over (very slight chance) for having her bulbs tilted up too high.

The bulb size is H13 or 9008 -- they are the same thing.

Also try buying them in a pair (along with new fog light bulbs) because I also have high wattage bulbs in my fogs too and when I have both my headlights and fogs on, the roads are very well lit up.
Can I ask what wattage bulbs you bought? The parts guy at the dealership told her too high a wattage bulb could melt the casing.

Thanks a million!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:54 PM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

yeah, I'd like to know the max safe wattage also. In my 88 nissan, I put 100w bulbs where 55w bulbs normally go, and the wiring from near the bulb to the light switch itself was damaged to the point that they don't work now. So I've been 'burned' on this before, hurh hurh.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:02 PM
sendic

just to clarify, she doesnt have foglights on her car and shes happy with the high beams, its just the low beams that shes concerned about.

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
RemainVayne
1st Gear Member

Damn, I think I actually have 90w bulbs in there!!

I should prolly take a look and make sure it isn't hurting my car...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I simply adjusted my headlight Higher, and a little more "Left" from how it came factory and that took care of the "Night Sight" issues on my GT.

It is easy... just a phillips screwdriver in the top/back of the headlight mounting adjusts the height.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

The best bulbs I have come across are Sylvania Silverstars. I have used them in several cars with great results. They are stock wattage so they won't hurt anything. I have them in the fogs (they do offer 'Stars for the fogs) on my '06 and the difference is amazing. Unfortunately, Sylvania , at least at this point, has chosen not to offer them in H13 or 9008 to fit our cars headlights. I have e-mailed them several times and they just say they have no plans to offer them. The best thing we can all do is contact Sylvania and ask, no, demand that they give us a Silverstar bulb for the new gen Mustangs. I bought the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs which are a little better than stock but not nearly as good as Silverstars. If enough of us send Sylvania e-mails, maybe they'll make these great bulbs available to us. Get busy!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:45 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem with my stock headlight assembly. I simply adjusted them up 3 turns and all was as well as could be with the stock lights. The best solution I've found is what you see below.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:12 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

I'm suprised there are no other sources for better than stock bulbs.

Quick Reply: 06 mustang headlights