Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:44 AM
DHG#3703

Default Dead Battery

Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum. I bought a new sonic blue Mustang GT to add to my collection. I took delivery of the car in September of 2005. I only have 1,025 miles on it. I will drive it more when the weather allows. Shortly after I received the car the battery went completely dead. Down to the point that the keyfob would not power the door lock solenoids. I charged the battery so that the eye was again green and thought it was maybe because I might have left the two dome lights on. Ok shame on me. Now, two months latter I go to start the car to finally install my new Christmas present today and the battery was completely dead again. I jumped started the car with battery cables and allowed it to run for several minutes. This time I am certain I didn't leave any switches on. I am not sure why the battery keeps going dead just for sitting one or two months at a time between starts. I removed the hot lead and placed an amp meter between the =removed cable and the positve battery post. With the ignition switch off, I measured 1.5 - 1.9 amps. I know there is memory in the radio, and other various componets but to draw almost two amps. Does this seem correct to you guys? Anyone want to measure their current draw? I used a fluke 73 meter to make my mesurements.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:16 AM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dead Battery

The "dead battery" syndrome appears to be a common problem. Much discussed on other forums. I have to leave mine on a trickle charger or it's dead in two weeks (it's in storage until snow clears). A number of owners have had dealers replace batteries with good results. I believe it was mentioned that Ford had a number of bad batteries. Take it to the dealer. I am soon. It's a pain to go out to a dead car, let alone a brand new car. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

Yep, this has happened to many stang owners. There has been a problem with bad batteries and issues with the amps for the radio staying on. So you may want to get both checked out.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering about that, it was strange, for the first month of storage my battery was fine, then between the last start up and 2 days ago (2 week period) it died.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I think its something in the POS radio ford uses. Ive turned my car off to still hear bass from the door subs only(500), everything else went off.
My g/f 05 focus has the simular radio(not called a shaker) but she has the subs in the trunk. Same thing with hers. Also has turned the radio on, only to ge the subs. had to cycle the radios power to get it to come on full.

Thanks god my car will never sit longer than a week without driving.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:05 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

Hey Stoenr,

How do you like your Flowmaster Mufflers?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Im happy with them. Money well spent. I like the 4" tips, look perfect on the back. I do have a audio of them, but I need to do it when the engien is warmed, I did it cold and you can really hear the gurgle when the rpm's drop. Once its warmed up its not as pronounced

stock with Flowmaster American thunder wave here
Old 01-22-2006, 04:21 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

I thought that seemed very high for an 'idle' current draw.
So,I went out to the garage to measure the '05 GT,sure enough
1.6 amps draw 'dark current' !!
I wonder what the culprit is ?
When I have more time,I'll try pulling fuses to where the draw is.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:47 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

Chances are it's your radios amps causing the draw, at least that has been the trend...
Old 01-22-2006, 05:32 PM
DHG#3703

Thanks guys for all of the inputs!! I love this site! Mustang people are the most helpful friendly people in the car collecting world.
I am going to take my car back to the dealer sometime this week. I will have to do it in the evening. Eventhough I don't drive this car very often right now due to bad weather, I hate the fact that I am paying 600.00 USD a month and I can't relay on it to start just because I don't drive it.
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Dead Battery