Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you make Overdrive off by default

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 03:46 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Default Can you make Overdrive off by default

Is there a way to make O/D always off at start up instead of on?

Do most of you leave it on no matter if driving in city or hwy or only use it cruising hwy's.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:33 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can you make Overdrive off by default

when you turn your key the over drive icon shows for few seconds and then disapears .... so there is no need to make disapear forever .....

i use my over drive button when im racing only... it helps the RPM to reach the redline then it automatically shifts .....

i used to put my gear in 1 and race .... like going 1~2~3~D but some guys told me that doing this technique will do some damgae to my gears so is it true ? cuz i like using this 123D technique its faster. ....
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
ponypower05GT
1st Gear Member

The o/d will be on in your car unless you turn it off by hitting the button. Mine is an automatic and it is on the right side of the shift lever. What you see lighting up on the dash when you start the car up is the computer just going through its start up diagnostics, just like when you see the check engine light and everything else come on when you first start it up but then it will, or should, go away in a couple seconds. O/D is good to use if you are just cruising in the car, not doing a lot of stop and go driving, or quick accelerations. Not that we would be doing much of it in our Mustangs but O/D is typically turned off if you are towing something as well. I don't know if there is anything that could be done with a tune to the car to make it permanently off or not, but maybe some of the other people on here with more tuning experience can answer that. Also, if you are doing a lot of city driving with traffic, stop lights, etc so that you are stop and go a lot then it is normally reccommended to turn O/D off as there will be more wear on the engine and transmission. I have heard it referred to before that O/D on equals economy and better fuel efficiency and O/D off equals power. This is probably only true to a point anymore with newer cars.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

OD on our tranmissions only disables the transmissions ability to go into 5th gear. It doesn't change any shift points.

The only time you would benifit from disabling the OD is if your running in a rally road race type environment and need that extra RPM's comming out of the curves.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

OD on our tranmissions only disables the transmissions ability to go into 5th gear. It doesn't change any shift points.

Exactly!