Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Wheel and Slick combination

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:40 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Default Best Wheel and Slick combination

What wheel and off road slick combination is the best for the '06 Mustang? I am looking for a very lite wheel to give me unsprung weight, and a large footprint without doing any modifications and no spacers. I want the best tires that fits. Thanks for the help
Matt
Old 01-25-2006, 02:27 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Best Wheel and Slick combination

The problem you're going to run into when shopping around for slicks is the rims. Tires are easy but it is difficult to find a rim for the slick as most slicks are formatted for 15" rims and you have to use a 16" because of the size of the rotors. Your options are going with a drag radial, or putting in some smaller brakes in the rear to accomodate a 15" rim. If you upgrade your front brakes (that's where you're stopping power is anyway) you won't have any problems grabbing a compatible rear brake set-up from the local junk yard. With the ability to have 15" rims on the rear, you will have a wide open selection of slicks to choose from.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

I won’t be changing my rotors any time soon, so I would like to hear what drag radials are working out the best for mustang owners. Is their some preference out there that is consistently showing better performance and traction over its competitors?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Hoof_N_It06 GT
1st Gear Member

i just put the bfg g-force drag radials on and love them, the only thing is i could only fit a 245/40/18 on the factory 18's because it is only an 8.5 inch wheel
Old 01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

bogart makes a wheel specifically for the 05-up mustangs. i have a set on order and will post pics and info when they arrive. also weld racing makes a wheel for the new mustangs. two versions are availible magnum and alumistar. front 17x3.5 rear 17x9 i think. no mods necessary for installation but they are pricey about $2600 for a set of 4! cheap way to go would be stock wheels on the back and use the spare tire rims on the front (they are 17x4) with hoosier skinnies((they make a 26" tall tire for 17" wheels). they factory spare rims are aluminum and made to clear the large brakes on front. i'll let you know what i run in to with the 15" bogarts if i ever get them. been waiting for 4 weeks now.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Do you have a Slick or drag radial you prefer?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i'm undecided between the bfg or m/t drag radials. the m/t is a better race tire but sucks in the rain. the bfg's are a little more streetable but not quite as good for traction. most likely i will get the bfg's just so when i'm somewhere racing and it rains i'm not stuck waiting out a storm. m&h makes one also but not in the size i needed(275-50-15?)26x11approx.. i would have to change gears to use their tire.(275-60-15)28x10approx.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:40 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know how much of a difference their is between a drag radial and a slick? Will I get anymore traction with a slick? Spyder, these Bogart rims you purchased are 15" rims (so I could use slicks if I wanted), how do they fit with the rotor issues as addressed by Chevykiller above?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 AM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

Drag radials have a bit stiffer body construction i believe, and due to the radial construction plant a little less rubber on the track at the starting line. I have used a full slick type radial drag tire(14.5 x 33 x 15) on my race car, an 8.70s ET 3000 lb car. I found the radials to provide a little less bite, but did ET very well due to low rolling resistance. That is the big advantage of a radial slick over bias ply. I am assuming the same charactoristics hold true for drag radials Vs radial slicks. The differance will be in how stiff the sidewalls are constructed, and ET gains will be seen with higher pressures in the tires, at the possible expense of 60 Ft times if traction is marginal.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

good question. i don't know since they are still making my wheels. i sure hope they get here soon. $1400 is a lot of money to give someone and have to wait for months to get the product. they told me 3-5weeks. i believe this is week 4. i think there is very little difference (performance wise)in the radial slick and the drag radial from m/t. the other brands of course will be much different since they are more of a street tire. the m/t's are a slick with some grooves in them. i will post pics and info whenever i get them.

Quick Reply: Best Wheel and Slick combination