Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are your keys fine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 AM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Default Are your keys fine?

I have about 6500 miles on my car and everything is holding up perfectly, except for the key. The plastic on the key is shredded and looks like a dog knawded on it and one of loops comming of the fob has a crack in it. I called my dealer and they said $85 for a new key and $45 for a new fob. How are your keys holding up?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:43 AM
ponypower05GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Are your keys fine?

The black plastic part on my key is looking pretty shredded too around the edges. It comes from being in my pocket and getting rubbed against other keys. I would imagine if I only had the key and fob in my pocket it would probably not look that way.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I've had my keys since June... It looks pretty much like it did when I got it...

but I don't keep a lot of crap on my key chain, and I don't put other keys on the fob.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14231/7782B905674E403C8F237B14E929845F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

No prblems here... but only 2700 miles on mine
Old 02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

I keep the key with the remote and always put it in a different pocket than my other keys. The black plastic looks all shredded. This is after seven months and less than 4000 miles.

I purchased three spare keys from a local locksmith for $25 each. The keys have a blue Ford oval on them and the black plastic is better quality than the original Ford key. I keep one of those on my keyring with other keys and it's in a bit better shape than the original.

When I had the spare keys made, I had to "program" the car to recognize them. The instructions are in the owner's manual, but the locksmith explained how to do it anyway. I don't remember exactly, but it's something like insert an original key and turn the ignition on, then off, then take it out. Insert a second original key, turn the ignition on, then off. Insert the new key turn it on and wait 6 seconds then turn it off. You now have another programmed key. (Check the owner's manual for exact details.)

The dealer is definitely making "extra profit" if he can get away with charging $85 for a new key.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Where did you guys get the Mustang FOB?????

All I got was the keys and the remotes....
Old 02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

$85 eh? when i bought the car, my dealer said extra keys were $120. my jaw literally dropped when he said that - to which the dealer added "just don't lose your keys"

haha - sound advise - unless your key starts to shred to pieces...

the very day i got the brand new key to my new stang i noticed that it didn't look like it would hold up well - it had a couple of scratches and dings in it just from being put on the keychain. so far though it hasn't shreded, just some dings and dents - i have about 6500 miles on mine.

have you considered talking it to the dealer and showing them what crappy craftsmanship went into your key? Ford shouldn't be charging 100 bucks for another key that's just going to literally fall apart. i'd take it in to the dealer and see if they'll give you a free replacement key - or at least complain. i had a 98 v6, and the key was made of hard plastic. i used and abused that key and after 8 years, it was still in decent shape. there's really no reason your $100 key should be falling apart at 6500 miles.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Are your keys fine?--NO!!

ORIGINAL: BradInFl

I have about 6500 miles on my car and everything is holding up perfectly, except for the key. The plastic on the key is shredded and looks like a dog knawded on it and one of loops comming of the fob has a crack in it. I called my dealer and they said $85 for a new key and $45 for a new fob. How are your keys holding up?
Funny you should mention this---for the last 2 days I have been really disappointed how:
a) the black plastic on the key is looking fuzzy, peices "shaving off" and
2) one of the plastic loops on the FOB is broken!! It's the TOP loop (side with the button holes). A peice is completely gone. This is after about 6 months and only 4500 miles on the car. I mean, it's only hanging on now by one loop.

I do NOT want to have to pay $50-100 for a FOB that I've either lost from the loops failing or becomes useless because I can't keep it on a key ring.

Wonder what, if anything, we can do? I'm glad you spoke up! I figured I was alone with the troubles!! I hope others add their issues..
Old 02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Alright! I thought it wasn't only me with this problem. I may go over to my dealer and show them the key or just wait until it gets worse and buys a new one.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:21 PM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

Which makes me wonder... could you use the argument that your keys are covered by the same warranty as your car? No key should be falling apart after a year of normal wear-and-tear, so maybe try requesting a replacement key under warranty!! They'll probably laugh at ya, but it may be worth a shot (and definitely should be defensible).

Quick Reply: Are your keys fine?