Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
rsp_222

Default RE: Turbo Vs. Supercharger

I kinda agree with most of the post here, go with a S/C if you want an easy bolt on way to make power. The S/Cs that are sold today are pretty easy to install, where turbos require a lot more work to install, because of the exhaust pipeing. Now if you are looking for mad and i mean mad boost twin turbos can get u it. You might have to spend more time doing it but just as a compairison on my 01 F-250 which had the 7.3 diesel, the stock turbo on that pushed 17-19 psi and after i put a chip in it, thoes engines came detuned and had insane torque potential, it was making up to around 32 psi with a single stock turbo. So if you want to hit thoes high Hp numbers and have the money to do it, because when you run really high boost you need to replace lots of stuff and it gets really expensive. Then go for the twin turbos but if you are looking for some easy bolt on power go with the S/C. The most boost that i have ever seen was on an 02 F-350 body where they droped in a cummins diesel engine and had it twin turboed, it pushed 136 psi and had 1800 hp and 2200 ft-lb of torque at the rear wheels. It went 0-60 in 3.1 i think and ran the half mile in like just under 11s if my memory is correct. I saw it in a truck magazine about a year ago, so i am not positive on thoes stats, cause i know i am gonna catch some **** for what i typed. if somebody can find the article and put the exact stats feel free but i think thoes numbers are close.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:46 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

After owning 2 turbo cars, I'm biased turbo. I plan on doing a turbo setup in a few years. I kinda like the idea of being able to change boost levels at the drop of a hat, have your street boost level and than drag level. Lag isn't too big of an issue for me either. Won't be too much longer and we'll have a plug and play 2-step avaiable for launching. And on the street, if you do that sort of thing, you can always brake boost to get the jump. Maybe S/C is easier, but I kinda don't want to do what 90% of people are doing when they go boosted.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

In reposne to the above statement:
"Turbo lag is still alive and well. If you doubt it, just go drive a brand new PT Cruiser GT. The lag can be minimized by proper turbo sizing for the particular application and -can- even be as responsive as a supercharger, but you have to make sure you're getting a well-designed system."

I guess my point of view doesn't come from cheap OEm turbo's yet quality units from places like Turbonetics.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

My take on which is better depends on the application. In a race application, with quality fuel, the turbo is not limited to a fixed boost determined by belts and pulleys. Turbo systems are very adjustable. Sized properly, they can make as much power as the engine can stand and can be very responsive. On street fuel though, the higher boost capability can't be taken advantage of. The screw supercharger can make as much boost as can be tolerated on street gas, can do it from off idle to redline, with no special driving style, and with a comparatively easy install and tune. I have two turbo v8 cars (sorry, not blue oval, but not bowtie either) but the new GT I just ordered for my daily driver work car will have a Kenne Bell SC.