Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sub questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 AM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default sub questions

I have an 06 gt coupe, with some aftermarket stereo equipment from my last vehicle that i have yet to put in it. It is nice stuff, and worth using if i decide its worth while. a couple alpine type R 12" subwoofers in a custom box, alpine amp for it, MB Quart Q series door components, (front and back) and an eclipse amp for them, and an eclipse automatic flip out video and dvd unit. Anyway the last car i had the stuff in, in just the space of a year rattled the whole care loose. I am curious if anyone has put subs and other high power sound equipment into maybe an 05' and has had issues with the seals and interior build quality getting compromised from bass and low frequency movement in the car. Does it rattle the whole car loose? Any advice would be great....i would rather not bother if my new car is going to sound like a dodge neon in 6 months

-Christian
Old 02-13-2006, 04:15 AM
Nick

Default RE: sub questions

I had my entire Shaker 500 system torn out & replaced with an Alpine system. I have 1 JL Audio 10" sub in a custom box in the trunk and a 350 watt amp. Not too radical of a system but head and shoulders above the shaker.

I don't "thump" mine. I listen to blues and rock & roll (at high volume most of the time). I don't have any issues so far.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:26 PM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

well the bass is the only thing i think the shaker is really lacking. granted the mid and high range quality of it is sub par to most aftermarket speakers....its still tolerable. But as far as the music i listen to....ranging in everything from classic rock to industrial....and i usually blast it.....chances are its going to shake the car loose. Oh well.

-Christian
Old 02-13-2006, 01:34 PM
bertkey1
1st Gear Member

i have 2 12" subs in mine and i have had no problem with stuff shaking loose just a couple of little rattles i need to find and eliminate
Old 02-13-2006, 08:27 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

You're guaranteed to shake stuff loose running a lot of power through a sub. Since you're greatly exceeding the expected vibration levels, the parts are just not designed to handle it maintenance free. The only solution is to go tighten things back up. It's sort of a just revenge for those of us that don't like to be forced to listen to the bass line from three cars over at a light.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 PM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

well i dont bump it to the point where everyone needs to hear what im playing....i just know that any additional amplified bass in a car will make seals and joints more or less rattle and squeak. trust me, i know there is nothing worse when im sitting at a stop light and an acura integra with three different colors of primer on it is sitting next to me and bumping 50 cent or something so loud thier license plate frame is rattling and my ear drums are filling up with monotonous vibration. LOL
Old 02-15-2006, 05:16 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i have 2 alpine type R 10" in my trunk. it rattled bad at first but i put dynomat in the trunk and now you cant even hear it from outside. inside, the bass is much cleaner and and you barely have to turn up the gain to feel it.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mac10chap
i have 2 alpine type R 10" in my trunk. it rattled bad at first but i put dynomat in the trunk and now you cant even hear it from outside. inside, the bass is much cleaner and and you barely have to turn up the gain to feel it.
yeap, that's the way to go when you add more bass to your system, if you use something like dynamat in the right places you should elimitate most rattles and the sound should improve as well. I know I'm going to be adding a subwoofer box to my GT, my stereo guy also uses dynamat to eliminate rattles.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
bertkey1
1st Gear Member

Mac how much was the dynomat? Did you install it?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:07 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i installed it myself. i got two door kits for the trunk. they were supposed to be around 90 bucks apiece but an old girlfriend of mine works at best buy so i got the kits for 30 apiece...just goes to show you how much markup they have on all that crap.