Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some info on TPS install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

Default Need some info on TPS install

Long story short -

Was in an accident and took the car to Ford for work. Told them what I needed to be done, get the car back and there is extra work done I had not told them to do (they were fixing the rear, this had to do with the TPS).

Anyway, anyone have the shop manual or can tell me what is invovled with replacing the TPS? Ford is trying to charge me 3 hours labor to change it out. Is there some reprogramming you have to do to learn the new TPS, and how long would that take (I can't justify the whole process being more than 30 minutes start to finish). The TPS is right there on next to the intake - old one out (10 min max), new one in (another 10 min max), reprogram if necessary (10 min max).

Need some info. Going in to talk to the head manager today at 4.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:51 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some info on TPS install

Don't ask, don't tell - According to Fords own book times for the procedure the TPS change pays .2 hours. They are going to charge .2 for a system test, .3 for a pinpoint test and another .2 for a re-test. Total - 9/10ths of an hour. Now, they are notorious for breaking a screw off in the throttle body so they are probably pricing time for that. Other than that, no clue why they say three hours. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Longhaul89

just had to replace mine, went bad.
Ten minutes , start to finish.
I won't even let the dealer give me my "free" oil change, I just don't trust any of them anymore.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. After talking to the manager for a bit I got my money back. The problem was my service advisor never relayed any information I gave him, so the mechanic did a bunch of work that was unecessary. That's not my fault. The manager still gave me a lot of attitude. I'm really digusted about how I was treated the whole experience. From the time I dropped the car off till 2 months after I got it back it was a nightmare. Even the manager was talking down to me. I was a day from calling the Better Business Bureau. I want to write up an email and send it to this guys boss and complain, but I don't know who his boss is. And I imagine he won't tell me.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

ask to see the Dealer's head manager or owner of the dealership! I was having some issues with the service manager myself. When I got this info I called him and he was prompt to call me back fairly quick. Told him I was calling Ford directly and that I was very upset with the way I was being treated. He took care of everything for me in a quick manner. I hate going that route but sometimes you have no choice. just my 2 pennies... Glad everything got fixed though