Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

llumar or 3M tint, $20 difference???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:20 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Default llumar or 3M tint, $20 difference???

Getting my 05 Gt tinted tommorow and its gonna be $149 for llumar or $169 for 3M. Both have a lifetime warranty. Which would you pick and why.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: llumar or 3M tint, $20 difference???

go with 3m. i've never heard of the other one (but what the hell do i know). 3m has a very solid reputation for all of it's products.

edit - also make sure your window tinter knows about the 05/06 window tint scracthing issue. it's well documented on this forum, so you might want to do a search on it, but basically people (myself included) have been complaining that the tint gets scratched badly due to the inside rubber being too rough. i have heard of some tint shops installing felt (or some other soft material) on the inside lip of the rubber so that the tint doesn't get scratched.

i learned about the issue right after i got my windows tinted. there are several VERY long, deep scratches on both of my windows now. i'm going to install some felt or something and get them re-tinted. pain in the ***.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

http://www.llumar.com/
Old 02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I like Lumar....had it on my WRX and it was nice.... I had 40% with the extra metal layer to reflect more UV and heat, everyone always thought I had darker tint and it didn't take away from the car....always rolling up and down my windows...worked great...
Old 02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
skin5050
2nd Gear Member

I have the llumar as well. It's great, except for the scratches that occurred from the window defect. But have your tint place install felt at the time of the install and you should be fine.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

So I should ask them to put felt on the inside seam where the window goes up and down?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

how much for the extra felt ? JC?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:51 PM
soonerbomb

go with the llumar, i have it on my 06, i have 5% all the way around (just a tad bit illegal LOL). they really stand behind their products, i also have to take mine back though to ge the scratches fixed. i'm kinda waiting until it gets warmer though because then the tint will dry faster and i don't have to leave my windows up for so long
Old 02-25-2006, 01:16 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Well I ended up not getting the felt, they said I wouldn't need it so we'll see. It was kinda funny, we got to the place to do the tint and the guys like "man there's no way I can get it today I have 2 others I didn't even know about". That would be fine if I didn't have an appointment. He never even got my name and number to possible let me know ahead of time. So I said fine how bout next friday, he said sure. Then I went directly to the other tint place in town and they said they could get it done same day plus they were $15 cheaper for the same tint and were much nicer. So I got it tinted yesterday. I'm gonna wash the car, clay block it and wax it and take some new pics hopefully today.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:37 AM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Ok I spent like 2-3 hours today washing, clay barring and waxing the baby to take some nice pics with the tint. One is in my signature and here's another. We ordered $180 of interior billet stuff tonight, we got a cupholder piece, an Ebrake handle, A/C *****, power outlet plug and a shorty antenna.

Quick Reply: llumar or 3M tint, $20 difference???