Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Seat Delete

Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default Back Seat Delete

Ok, my girlfriend was tellin me a while back about how she had a "rear seat delete kit" in her 95 GT. So this has me thinking lately.........I have never once in the 7 months that I've had my GT ever put anyone in the backseat. It has only been used to store my crap mostly. So I'm wondering about how much weight I'd save if I took the backseats out.
My girl told me that she shaved off 350 lbs in her 95, anyone know about how much the backseat assemblies in the 05/06's weigh? Has anyone taken their backseats out yet? I'm only interested in those who have done this with a car they still ride on the streets.......not someone who did it building a track-only car. And while we're at it, has anyone seen a "rear seat delete kit" for our cars yet? In my girl's 95 it basicly replaced the seat with a carpet covered, molded plastic fixture that served to fill in the blank space in the back so it didn't look so vacant (like the car came from the factory with only two seats).
And no, I'm not seriously considering this right now, but I am curious if anyone has done this to their 05/06 yet.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Back Seat Delete

Why does it sound like your gal knows more about Mustang's than you? Hehe, that's not good! Though I haven't seen any kids out yet to replace the vacant space with a factory look carpet, sorry. Not sure how much the seats weigh either, but any weight... is weight loss.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:00 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

Why does it sound like your gal knows more about Mustang's than you? Hehe, that's not good! Though I haven't seen any kids out yet to replace the vacant space with a factory look carpet, sorry. Not sure how much the seats weigh either, but any weight... is weight loss.
Well, to answer your question.........she used to street race a couple of years ago when she was in the Air Force (they apparently had no other forms of entertainment.) Plus she had a gang of guys she hung with that taught her cars and did lots of stuff to her mustang for her. Until my 05 I'd only owned a 98 V6, which I have never "officially" raced. But her racing days are behind her....she is terrified of my 05. Now its my turn....hehehe[sm=badbadbad.gif]

P.S. No, she doesn't know more about mustangs than me. But she does know more about racing a 95 GT with a 351 than me.[8D]
Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Rear seat delete kit?

Here ya go!

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/...eat_delete.htm

-05BlackPony
Old 02-24-2006, 11:17 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Sweet! Good find BP. Thanks. One more thing I'll br contemplating in the future.......as if I don't have enough on the list already.[:@] Cool ride, btw. I like the offset pony emblem.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Amznblue

This Blood,

I work for Ford Motor.I was formely at the Chesterfield trim plant where the Mustang seats were built.The back seats are incrediabley light.There are no mechanical tracks or any thing of that nature in the rear.Between the rear back and the rear bottom your looking at a total of maybe 75 lbs.I don't know where the 350 lbs was taken from but it was not the seats alone.Hope this helps
Old 02-25-2006, 01:50 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

75lbs! thats a lot of weight in book. okay they are gone. i can figure a way to put a car seat on the floor or something. anyway i think for our cars it's about 43lbs. i read on another forum. the fronts are heavy about 50-70lbs. each.it's something i'll do just to run a quick number then replace all of it again. i like having my comfy seats. i could stand to lose them for a few runs though. this year i will run an 11.99 n/a if it means taking the doors off to do it.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:39 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Amznblue

This Blood,

I work for Ford Motor.I was formely at the Chesterfield trim plant where the Mustang seats were built.The back seats are incrediabley light.There are no mechanical tracks or any thing of that nature in the rear.Between the rear back and the rear bottom your looking at a total of maybe 75 lbs.I don't know where the 350 lbs was taken from but it was not the seats alone.Hope this helps
To be honest, I thought 350 lbs was a bit much for just backseats. But you have to remember that her race buddies used to do alot of the work on her car for her......so its possible they removed quite a few other things as well. I'm really not all that serious about taking the back seat out of my 05, it was just one of those things that popped into my head recently and I was curious about. But I won't say for sure, once my mods are all in I may change my mind about lightening the car up a bit. Afterall, I have been driving around a 3100 lb car for the better part of the last 9 years......and my new GT's gut has taken some getting used to to say the least.[:@]
Old 02-25-2006, 03:46 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

It only removes the padded part of the seat, which is why they only save about 40 pounds!
It looks like the seatbacks may still fold down though...
Might as well keep the seats. With the stock seats your stuff won't roll around as much!
Does anyone else keep the seatbelts attached to the latch all the time? I keep my Thomas Guide back there and it still hasn't slid out.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:34 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Yea, I envisioned a rear seat delete leaving nothing but floor board in the back......kinda like the old Shelby's. But if all it does is remove the seat cushions and backing, then whats the point? Ahh, the research continues. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back Seat Delete