Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Who Has Personally Installed HIDs in their 2010 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 AM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

OK, right after I posted pics of the ride, I saw a small box at the doorstep. The Retro-Solutions kit arrived. The guy ships quick and it arrived within 2 days from CT to CA via USPS. I wanted a factory look, and ended up with the 35w/5k bi-xenon kit. I added the bulb coating. I didn't bother with the fogs as all OEM fogs on all cars, AFAIK, are incandescent. That's at least the case on the OEM HID cars I've owned with fogs (late model 540i, G35, Audi A4, and MX-5).

I went to work right after the kids went to sleep ... total time 1.25 hours. This thread was EXTREMELY helpful (different kit, but same install) as the included instructions are generic.

I'm technical in a "PHP vs. .NET" sort of way - mildly mechanical but much more comfortable under the hood of a database. Anyhow, this was a snap. The hardest part was hiding the wires and threading the d@mn zip ties (I usually measure any sort of household work in # of curse words -- that was the first one I've used all night).

Also, I'm not a mod junkie anymore (I'm not, I'm not, I'm not... I'm NOT) so I took my time in deciding on a kit that looks stock and could be removed very easily. I wanted no drilling, no cutting, no splicing... pure plug and play. Retro just seems to have fewer problems than the others and the customer service is excellent (already sent back a 6k/55w kit w/o opening it after changing my mind) -- no questions asked.

I used 3M foam tape for the ballasts and plan to use black electrical tape to cover up the "DIGITAL" labels (no offense, Retro/Todd - I just want it to look anonymous and original).

I wanted a stock look; mission accomplished. Will report back if any issues arise.

Last edited by NickelDime; 09-07-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Why 35w/5k instead of 55w/5k?

How much better are they at night?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 AM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Those look good and bright, but again look kinda scattered....could be just the pics.

If possible I'd like to see what the look like on a wall to see if there is a good clean cut-off.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 AM
bgmikejr2009

NickelDime,

Nice install, mine were about the same location for the ballasts, I was able to hide my ballast for the drivers side and mount it on the back side of the cold air intake box where the filter installs. I also mounted the passenger side ballast with zip ties to the plastic plug that is already mounted to the frame of the car, I didn't mount the ballasts to the car like you did cause I am afraid if the frame gets too hot that it will affect the ballast temperature on a hot day. Yes I have already had a ballast go bad the 2nd week of having them installed so I move it to where I mentioned and have had no issues, American Muscle sent me another ballast overnight for free and told me I could keep the old on that doesn't work anymore which was awesome. I will be taking pics as promised today so everyone can see my install. I also installed HID's for the fogs cause I installed them without doing the fogs and it just didn't look right to me so I installed the fogs and now it looks bright and awesome
Old 09-07-2009, 06:26 AM
xspsi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickelDime
Very nice! This will definitely be a future upgrade for me. I didn't like the way the factory optioned HIDs look on a Stang. IMO, it makes the car look kind of "crossed-eyed" when viewed from the front.

Last edited by xspsi; 09-20-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
Why 35w/5k instead of 55w/5k?

How much better are they at night?

Quite a bit brighter - I haven't driven on a stretch that isn't lit yet, though - so will have to report back.

35w HID is brighter than 55w halogen. 55w HID is just too bright IMO. I wanted a factory look; AFAIK, Ford uses 35w HID.

Last edited by NickelDime; 09-07-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 AM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T
Those look good and bright, but again look kinda scattered....could be just the pics.
More like the photographer. I snapped a few, looked at the screen and said "why can't I get it to look like reality????"

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T
If possible I'd like to see what the look like on a wall to see if there is a good clean cut-off.
OK - will post tonight.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 AM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bgmikejr2009
NickelDime,

Nice install, mine were about the same location for the ballasts, I was able to hide my ballast for the drivers side and mount it on the back side of the cold air intake box where the filter installs. I also mounted the passenger side ballast with zip ties to the plastic plug that is already mounted to the frame of the car, I didn't mount the ballasts to the car like you did cause I am afraid if the frame gets too hot that it will affect the ballast temperature on a hot day. Yes I have already had a ballast go bad the 2nd week of having them installed so I move it to where I mentioned and have had no issues, American Muscle sent me another ballast overnight for free and told me I could keep the old on that doesn't work anymore which was awesome. I will be taking pics as promised today so everyone can see my install. I also installed HID's for the fogs cause I installed them without doing the fogs and it just didn't look right to me so I installed the fogs and now it looks bright and awesome

HUGE HELP - thanks bgmikejr. I just used 3m heavy tape so moving is rather simple. Great point on heat - will move tonight.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickelDime
OK - will post tonight.
Please do, looking forward to it.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xspsi
Very nice! This will definitely be a future upgrade for me. I didn't like the way the factory optioned HIDs look on a Stang. IMO, it makes the car look kind of "crossed-eyed" when viewed from the front.
I agree. They just don't look right.

Quick Reply: Who Has Personally Installed HIDs in their 2010 Mustang?