Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

BAD DAY... messed up two of my 19" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default BAD DAY... messed up two of my 19" wheels

So i was driving down the road today and the moron in the truck in front of me pulling a trailer didn't tie his load down and a bunch of wood and crap lands in the road in front of me at 55mph. I dodge the wood successfully but ended up putting a goodly bit of road rash on the passenger side 19" premium wheels i planned to sell! the wheels are basically ruined visually (for me anyway, the wife says she can hardly see it) though the car still drives fine.

The dude driving the truck either didn't see the dodging going on behind him or opted to simply keep driving, he never stopped. What should i do here? the wheels are ruined, serious curb rash on the lip of the rim. Should i make an insurance claim? I mean, I will be out $900 or more here since i can't sell the set now. Would this be non fault if i do claim it or an at fault since the damage was caused by me dodging debris? I'm pissed and not sure what to do other than clam down before i call the insurance company.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that! could have been worse! did you get tag #'s if so you can make a claim against his insurance.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

nope didnt get it
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

W/my insurance, a "hit and run" (as is basically what transpired) can be claimed on your own insurance -- thus waiving deductible -- only if tags are retrieved.

That's often a difficult task to accomplish given the nature of the "run" part; and insurance companies know this.

Also keep in mind that whether it's your fault or not, insurance companies keep track (of course) of incidents -- however unfair it may seem -- of your likelihood to be of further liability to them. So think hard if it's worth it to you before calling them, deductible level and all.

Your insurance company's rules may differ on the deductible waiver/tag retrieval issue though. Check it with them.

Sorry man.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:03 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

What is your deductible? If it is less than the value of the wheels, you could take out a claim to get two new ones........but you will have to pay your deductible. However it should fall under your comprehensive deductible which is usually much lower than collision. Mine is only $100. It's worth the call to discuss with your insurance agent. Better to be out $100 than $900.........
Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
What is your deductible? If it is less than the value of the wheels, you could take out a claim to get two new ones........but you will have to pay your deductible. However it should fall under your comprehensive deductible which is usually much lower than collision. Mine is only $100. It's worth the call to discuss with your insurance agent. Better to be out $100 than $900.........

Yeah I am with geico, i havent had a at fault accident since i was 18, I am 36 now. i di dhave my 05 vert get vandalized last year, top slashed and top frame was damaged. But those werent at fault. I will call them and see what i can do. my comp is ded is $200, i beleive those wheels are $500 or so each at ford.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

well i called and talked to the ins co, my ded fro at fault is only $200. i have to go to see an adjuster if i decide to make the claim. the wheels from ford are $667 each. They woudl cut a check in my name and the shops name apperently. teh suck of this is that i ahve my new wheels in teh garage waiting for the tires to show up. If I dont repalce the two ruined stockers I cant sell the set, but the ins co is going to think i am crazt if i call in a week or so and add the new wheels to the policy after they just repalced two of my wheels.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Hoofprint
2nd Gear Member

I guy I work with had some lip damage on his 550 Benz and used this place, not sure if they are in your area but I will tell you the only way to know there was damage to the wheel is by the little gouge in the tire rubber above it. I believe it was about $100...Checkout some of the before and after photos

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

+1. Shane, there are many places that specialize in repairing scuffed wheels. I also have a buddy with a Mercedes who curb rashed two of his badly, and they were repaired in a way that you can't tell anything was ever done. You should research and price that option.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Wow, didn't know you could do that. the second wheel in that series looks just about like mine, but the damage extends half way around the wheel almost. none of those places are near me, but i will look around might be others in my area.

Quick Reply: BAD DAY... messed up two of my 19" wheels