Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Tail light tints

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Default Tail light tints

Has anybody installed these on ttheir '10s or '11s? I ordered a set for my 11 but am afraid to install it myself and possibly mess it up. Is it easy or require some know how. Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bokeo
Has anybody installed these on ttheir '10s or '11s? I ordered a set for my 11 but am afraid to install it myself and possibly mess it up. Is it easy or require some know how. Thanks
I have the American Muscle tint and it was pretty easy to install. All you do is spray soapy water on the taillights, unpeel the tint from it's backing and spray the back of the tint, and put it on the taillights lining it up. Just make sure it's good and wet so you can move it around. You may have to remove it and spray it again if it starts to dry and it's not lined up. But it's simple. Then when it's lined up, use a little squeegee and try and get the water bubbles out from under the tint. Took me about 45 min or so to do both sides.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Kixsters
2nd Gear Member

I had all my lights tinted in my Roush (all 13 lights) ... the best way to install these is having the area clean and using some type of heat gun or blow drier to make the vinil wrap up better... keep us posted with pics cause I'm thinking of doing mine again.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

my suggestion is gts covers for the tails, they look better imho and they match the black out tints out there. as for install, its really easy. i got my other tints form stang mods and they go on with soapy water as mentioned, you have plenty of time to get them just right and you should have a squeege to smooth it all out. just don't go overboard with the water/soap or it will slide all around and drive you crazy.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

heres a pic of my tint from american muscle installed. i personally love the look

Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iceguyb14
heres a pic of my tint from american muscle installed. i personally love the look

I love the license plate even more
Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses and info everyone! I should be getting them in on tuesday so I will post up pics after the install. I saw the blackout covers for the brake lights and didnt like them personally. There is a 5.0 here on base with them and I think it kinda cheapens the rearend look, but thats jus me.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:39 PM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
I love the license plate even more
lol thanks

Originally Posted by Bokeo
Thanks for the responses and info everyone! I should be getting them in on tuesday so I will post up pics after the install. I saw the blackout covers for the brake lights and didnt like them personally. There is a 5.0 here on base with them and I think it kinda cheapens the rearend look, but thats jus me.

Thanks guys!
i feel the same way... post some pics once you get it installed!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:33 PM
austin101385
1st Gear Member

Got my smoked tint from Stangmods...the key is to heat the tint up before you put it one, this will make it easier to stretch (since the tint is never a perfect fit) and mold to the tail light and get a lot of solution between the tint and light so you can move it around until you have it perfect...then start stretching. Don't worry if you don't get all the water bubbles out...after sitting in the sun for a couple of days, they will start to disappear.

I have some black out tint for the front and rear side marker lights on order from Stangmods (I tried the smoked, but the amber was way to easy to see on the front)

Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iceguyb14
lol thanks

i feel the same way... post some pics once you get it installed!
cheap you say! lol

Quick Reply: Tail light tints