Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Side Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

hope they didnt drill holes for the sidescoops. At least that's the proper way on the 07-09 GT/CS
Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM
chief

They appear to be 3M-ed on. The dealer didn't take the inner trim off to install them and did it pretty quick.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
chief

Trying the pictures again!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chief
Hi Everyone! New to the forum and want to ask a question about the side scoops on a 2011. I have a grey GT Premium (comfort package and 19" wheel package) and I had the dealer install side scoops and quarter window louvers. They mounted the side scoops by lining up the bottom body contour, so they are about 1/2" too low. They painted only the outside of the window louvers, so through the windows, you see black louvers with grey fingerprints. The dealer said they would take the louvers off, paint the insides and remount them. OK by me. The questions is, should I let them attempt to move the side scoops to the proper position or are they more likely to mess it up by trying? They are stuck on with 3M body tape as far as I know. What do you think or what would you do?
I'm not sure where you think the side scoops should be located, but I just measured mine and they are about 1/2 inch below the body line peak that runs along the side of the Mustang through the door handle. Looking at your picture I would say they are positioned just like mine.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Hmm, My side scoops are located right on the upper body contour line thing like the OP wants this to be installed on.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by theACE
Hmm, My side scoops are located right on the upper body contour line thing like the OP wants this to be installed on.
I just pulled out the instructions for mounting the side scoops. The installations instructions start with:
1. Using a Dry-Erase Marker, measure 1/2 in down from the center body line parrallel to the door handle and make a mark. In addition measure and mark 1/4 in from the door's vertical bodyline towards the rear of the vehicle. These markings will be used as a guide for the following steps and installation of the side scoop (Image 2&3).............Those images show how to measure and make the marks.

Those two marks fixed the upper left corner of the driver-side scoop. I would say the dealer followed the instructions just like I did. Not sure what the instructions were for your side scoops Ace?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm, I guess someone couldn't figure out how to stick plastic side scoops on a car correctly when Ford put them on my vehicle. oh well.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chief
Hi Everyone! New to the forum and want to ask a question about the side scoops on a 2011. I have a grey GT Premium (comfort package and 19" wheel package) and I had the dealer install side scoops and quarter window louvers. They mounted the side scoops by lining up the bottom body contour, so they are about 1/2" too low. They painted only the outside of the window louvers, so through the windows, you see black louvers with grey fingerprints. The dealer said they would take the louvers off, paint the insides and remount them. OK by me. The questions is, should I let them attempt to move the side scoops to the proper position or are they more likely to mess it up by trying? They are stuck on with 3M body tape as far as I know. What do you think or what would you do?

They F'ed up on the install. Make them fix the mistakes. You paid a pretty penny for that gorgeous ride and should never have to settle for sub-par work from the dealer.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by theACE
Hmmm, I guess someone couldn't figure out how to stick plastic side scoops on a car correctly when Ford put them on my vehicle. oh well.
Weren't you worried ACE when you first got your car that the dealer might've sold you one that was repaired or repainted? The dealer had to have installed some equipment on your car because there is no way in the world to order a V6 direct from Ford with the California Special bumper and Boss Stripes. Maybe the dealer installed the side scoops when they did those?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 PM
chief

Wow, this forum is great! Thanks for all the input. ACE, the CS I saw on the lot had the scoops positioned like yours right up to the contour line, so I figured that was the correct position. After reading the installation instructions provided by RadioGuy, I can see why they were positioned as they are by the dealer. Probably OK either way. The photos of the window louvers really don't show that they are black ABS on the inside and you can see grey paint fingerprints. THAT, I will definitely have the dealer fix. I'm leery of having the scoops removed and repositioned when they are in the correct position according to the installation instructions. The dealer did offer to move them, but with the new information, I'll let it go. Less trauma to my new new ride! Note to self: Next time, buy the parts and take them to a good body shop for painting and installation as suggested earlier by FifthWind. Thanks again to all who responded - I value your input. I was overcome by circumstances this week, but will probably get to the dealer next week for the louvers.

Quick Reply: Side Scoops