Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

2011 GT rattle ~ 2500-3000rpm! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Default 2011 GT rattle ~ 2500-3000rpm! HELP!

In the morning when its cold I hear a rattle when driving the car at normal acceleration between 2500-3000rpm. At first I thought it was coming from behind me but then I heard this video on youtube that sounds exactly like mine, but he placed his camera in his engine compartment and he thinks its engine knock.

Car is 6 weeks old and has 1300 miles and this sound has occurred since day 1.

My video and the other guy's video are linked below:

MY CAR - you can hear it around 13 seconds. It's quiet but you can hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73huftTwuaY

OTHER GUY: (camera in engine compartment, fast-foward to 1:00 minute)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmFXuQLmNHE

Last edited by angryBits; 03-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

that is weird i didn't really hear it on your car, but that second vid it is obvious. have you been under the car to see if anything is loose? i had a car once that had a heat shield that drove me crazy vibrating until i realized it was just missing a bolt.

Last edited by ShaneM; 03-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i had a car once that had a headshiled that drove me crazy vibrating until i realized it was just missing a bolt.
I haven't been under my car, I don't have a garage.

The sound it's making does sound very much like a heatshield that isn't quite fastened down enough and starts to vibrate just enough around 2500rpms to start tapping some firewall or something.

Damn wouldn't that be wonderful if thats all it was!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by angryBits
I haven't been under my car, I don't have a garage.

The sound it's making does sound very much like a heatshield that isn't quite fastened down enough and starts to vibrate just enough around 2500rpms to start tapping some firewall or something.

Damn wouldn't that be wonderful if thats all it was!
weird, i drove a 11 gt for a week solid an drove in a couple more and that def isn't a normal noise. what did the dealer say?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

I went to the dealer and by the time I got there, the car had warmed up and the sound was gone. If they can't reproduce it, they can't diagnose it.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:16 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

After lots of reading, I'm starting to think this sounds very much like piston slap...
Old 03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

I wonder if this would help

http://www.dssracing.com/
Old 03-20-2011, 02:25 AM
ronk54

Default 2011 rattle

My 2011 GT has this slight rattle. when cold also. I figured it might be a valve rattle when cold or something like a heat shield loose. I lean toward something being loose when cold because after driving about 2 or 3 minutes, the sound goes away completely. Once warmed up, I drive my car hard and have never heard this sound even a little bit when revving to redline. If it was piston slap, the sound would persist even after warmup. I just keep the revs under 3 grand until the motor temp shows warmth. The other thing is once the motor is warmed up, I can turn it off for a couple of hours, restart it and the noise does not happen. If it is not a loose heat shield, it might be a cold motor's valvetrain warming this 5-20 oil after sitting all night and have most of the oil draining from the valve train.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:54 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Loose heat shield doesn't only rattle when cold and would be less common. I actually went to the dealer and asked about it and while they couldn't explain what it was, they did say that I shouldn't worry about it and showed me two other brand new cars in their lot that did the same exact thing.

I agree that it is not piston slap, after giving it more thought, piston slap would make the sound at idle, not just a certain rpm range. Maybe valvetrain noise, but I'm not too worried about it.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:52 AM
msbcasmustang

Angry Rattle at 3000 rpm's

Went to the Ford dealer in Riverhead, NY on this yesterday. Tells me that all of the 2011 5.0 GT's make this sound until they warm up and as per ford, it is a "characteristic of the engine". In fact, one of the mechanics there owns one and said that his did the same thing.

I said to them that just because they all do it doesn't mean that it is ok. In fact, it sounds like an engineering design defect.

Hopefully, Ford eventually admits that metal-on-metal is a bad thing and either fixes all of our engines or replaces them. Otherwise, we will have a good case for a class action lawsuit when and if the time comes since this seems to be well documented on-line.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT rattle ~ 2500-3000rpm! HELP!