Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

lowered the stang - eibach springs, struts and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Default lowered the stang - eibach springs, struts and shocks

Hi all - got my suspension components installed and just wanted to share.

I was strongly considering coilovers to get the ride height that I wanted. I didn't think lowering springs would lower the car enough. After lots of research, I decided it was better to buy springs, struts and shocks instead of a lower end coilover setup, for the budget I wanted to allocate for this. I saw a few mustangs on sportlines that motivated me to go this route.

-eibach sportline lowering springs
-eibach pro dampers (struts/shocks)
-bmr on-car adjustable pan hard bar with polyurethane bushings
-maximum motorsports caster/camber plates/front strut mounts

the car is a lot lower - yet the ride comfort actually feels better now (compared to the brembo package tuned suspension). I am noticing a lot of improved aspects - less nose raise on hard accel in lower gears, less brake dive on hard braking, less wheel hop from a mild launch, less body roll .. it feels like a different car!

I had plenty of fears about the set up - my borla over/axle exhaust clearance, rubbing / bottoming out etc .. but none of that has really come to fruition. so far so good! I just have to remember I'm a couple inches lower and to take steep inclines at angles and go slowly etc.

here's a couple before and after photos.

before -

after - (sorry for the cell pics)

any questions, feel free to ask. I am stoked about the results, not only for looks, but performance as well.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 AM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

How much for all of the goodies? Springs, struts, panhand bar etc. And were you able to install yourself or did you take it to a shop? Anyways, I love the stance. MUCH better! And glad to hear you say that the ride actually feels better, made up my mind

Last edited by bigD1515; 04-28-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

thanks!

I do not recall the exact amount - I believe springs are around 250, struts and shocks around 450, panhard bar around 150 (these can be had cheaper, I just wanted a specific one with polyurethane bushings to reduce noise), and the MM strut mount / cc plates were around 350. just a little over a grand for everything.

I had a shop do the installation - I've done prior suspension installs on other cars and I've decided it's just not worth the headache to me, when I can have it done for a couple hours of labor costs professionally. if you are at all mechanically inclined it is not a difficult install - you could easily do it yourself. I just don't have a lot of experience and find it frustrating. I stick to simple bolt ons and pay the pros when I want the piece of mind.

my car has the brembo package - which includes some rather rough riding suspension tuning. when I say the ride is improved, it's in comparison to that. I had test driven a couple of non brembo GT's and I'd say this rides slightly stiffer then those, slightly less comfortable. overall it is still a quality and comfortable ride and not one you'd be disappointed in.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

How much of a drop is it? Looks to be around an inch and a half.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Looks badass... what wheels?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Man, those wheels look so good and the drop completely changed the look! Glad to hear you're happy with it from a performance standpoint as well. You're ride alone is making it really hard for me to decide between my next ride. It's between white and black, but you're performance white with black pieces is just making my future choice that much harder.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I believe that drop is around 1.5" front and 2" rear. I put it through the ringer in some high speed curves today and it felt amazing :]

the wheels are stance sc 5ive's - 20x9 20x10, +33/35.

appreciate the compliments. I hear you on the white/black debate .. one thing that made it easy for me - black is a nightmare to maintain! it looks so good when well kept though : ]
Old 04-29-2012, 03:09 AM
CoyoteGT

great looking drop!

Are you getting any tire rubbing during hard cornering?
How does the car feel over large bumps on the freeway / cornering?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

thanks - zero tire rubbing at all, even with the wheel fully cranked on a sharp turn, never rubbing on bumps or cornering.

the car feels surprisingly comfortable when hitting bumps on the freeway. little less comfortable than a GT (non brembo), more comfortable than the brembo suspension.

i took a high speed curve on an overpass today that has multiple sections of road connections that are rather rough / and had a bump every few seconds or so - even while cornering at 90mph it just absorbed it and kept itself planted and firm with no shifting, sliding or loss of traction. I intentionally hit up this particular road knowing my previous car (WRX) couldn't handle it well, and those bumps in the curve shifted the entire car and kind of killed my confidence level. the stang just feels composed and ready to rock.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Amazing pictures! Nice stance! Keep on rockin, sounds like you know your limits.

Quick Reply: lowered the stang - eibach springs, struts and shocks