Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Painting the Brembo's (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Default Painting the Brembo's (pics)

I searched all over for a car with the options I wanted, one of those being the Brembo Brake Package. I was a little disappointed with the dull grey finish on the calipers, especially compared to the gloss black GT500 Brembo's I had on my 07. So, I did something about it...or am in the process of...

I used the Duplicolor caliper paint kit from Autozone and brushed it on. Was going to have them powder coated, but the hassle of getting a new seal kit and not having a car for over a week didn't work out for me. Took me about 3 hours to get to this point. Was going to remove the fronts, but did not want to start pulling lines apart or dealing a caliper hanging by wire. Masking tape seemed to work well. If it turns out the red is too much, I can always go to a gloss black. I have white Brembo hi temp decals coming for the fronts.

Gonna let them sit until tomorrow afternoon before I put things back together.

Here are the final results! I couldn't be happier!

Last edited by AZAlloy; 09-02-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Looks really good. I used the same paint on mine (black though) back in April and it's still holding up great. No chips or cracks on the paint, just a lot of brake dust.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

I gotta get around to doing this. This looks really good. Good Job. Post some pics when your tires and wheels back on.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay_C123
I gotta get around to doing this. This looks really good. Good Job. Post some pics when your tires and wheels back on.
Absolutely!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

DONE! Pics updated!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

nice work. I am going to do the same sometime to my Brembos. did you just ebay replacement stickers for the front logos?

I am still undecided on color. I hate that the calipers are different colors (front to rear). I want something unique that will pop up without being an eyesore. I'll probably ask someone to photoshop a few different colors - kinda leaning towards a rustin copper / orange color, but dunno how it'll look yet : )
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
nice work. I am going to do the same sometime to my Brembos. did you just ebay replacement stickers for the front logos?

I am still undecided on color. I hate that the calipers are different colors (front to rear). I want something unique that will pop up without being an eyesore. I'll probably ask someone to photoshop a few different colors - kinda leaning towards a rustin copper / orange color, but dunno how it'll look yet : )
Yep. Ebay'd and requested the decal length be 2 5/8", which is the length of the stock logo. I hear ya about the color choice. That was my biggest hesitation, but now, I am so glad I went with the red.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 PM
67RETRO
1st Gear Member

Honestly, I am really impressed with how this turned out man. It looks really good. From the pics they almost look factory painted. Congrats on the finish man. I have seen the same type of job turn out not nearly as nice.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

I think it'd look sick if you powdercoated your brembos
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67RETRO
Honestly, I am really impressed with how this turned out man. It looks really good. From the pics they almost look factory painted. Congrats on the finish man. I have seen the same type of job turn out not nearly as nice.
Thanks, I appreciate that. The secret was leaving the car alone for two days after the paint was done while I was waiting for the decals. Giving the paint enough time to harden was important. Even the next day they were still tacky.

I was going to powdercoat, but again, wasn't sure if I wanted to commit. Plus, this cost me $25 total. Powdercoat was $100 plus the cost of brake fluid and a new seat kit for the Brembos. It is definately the smarter choice in terms of longevity and I recognize that. I will see how things go with the paint, and if nothing else, I'm only out 25 bucks. LOVE cheap projects.

Quick Reply: Painting the Brembo's (pics)