Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Diary Of A Cheapa$$ Modder....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Default Diary Of A Cheapa$$ Modder....

There were a few subtle things I wanted for external mods, which I could have gotten either factory or dealer installed, but I'm just too frugal for that.

Instead, I did some research and went the Ebay/Online market route. All the parts I purchased were brand-new.

1. Cowl stripes. Dealer wants a ridiculous price for these, and they were kind of boring looking plain spears. I found these unique-looking ones with the Pony logo and surround stripe for $20 shipped. I botched the application of one of them, and the ebay seller I bought them from offered to send me another one for free. (I still Paypal'd him $10 for his trouble.) TOTAL COST: $30

2. Decklid panel. I first tried a decal, but it didn't fit and was too hard to apply without flaws. It only cost me $20, I didn't bother trying for a refund. Instead I found the OEM Ford Decklid panel for $75 shipped "buy-it-now" price on Ebay. (Ford price is $225) I've seen this same Ebay seller have them go for as low as $25-50 in auction formats. TOTAL COST: $95

3. Pony Package Grille. OEM version is about $300 from Ford. Found an aftermarket one on Ebay for $100 shipped. Quality is as good as the OEM part. Just had to swap over the chrome running pony emblem. TOTAL COST $100.

4. Tailight Bezels. Seemed to be a "finishing touch" for the back-end with the decklid installed. Found them online (not Ebay) for $40 shipped unpainted. I wanted to try Plasti-coat first, but didn't like the results, So I peeled it off and just used Rustoleum flat spray paint - spent $13 on the two cans of spray. TOTAL COST: $53.

5. "OEM" Fog lights. I probably hated this stock look more than anything else about the car. As someone else here said, the front of a V6 Mustang without foglights installed "Just screams I'm too much of a cheapass to afford foglights!". Factory price is over $600, all the aftermarket kits sell for $339. I found the parts to make up a "OEM" Package all on Ebay... minus the "factory" switch. TOTAL COST: $87.

Additionally, I sold the original "Faux Gas Cap" from the car that I took off when I installed the decklid for $40.

I also tried out a set of color-matched mirror caps, but was unhappy with the fit & finish so I returned them. The seller gave me a full refund including shipping costs. Right now I'm checking into the possibility of getting the OEM black ones (which are better quality construction) color-matched at a body shop.

NET COST FOR ALL MODS: $325!

Name:  mustangebaymods_zps92f2670f.png
Views: 64
Size:  548.1 KB
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Good finds. I bought my whole front end CS OEM parts off ebay. Whole thing cost me less that $800. Gotta love eBay.

Let us know how the hood spears hold up. Im thinking that mod over right now.

Matthew
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM
AWD2RWD
1st Gear Member

Definitely good buys on your part
Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Good finds. I bought my whole front end CS OEM parts off ebay. Whole thing cost me less that $800. Gotta love eBay.

Let us know how the hood spears hold up. Im thinking that mod over right now.

Matthew
I've had the spears for well over a year now - they still look new.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Paul, I have to say, I like you modes. Where the spears had to put on?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
Paul, I have to say, I like you modes. Where the spears had to put on?
Not bad at all. There's a lot of YouTube vids on applying car decals the right way. (wet application)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I know but even my body shop guy won't touch them and I can't find anyone around willing to even give me a hand on rocker strips. Anyway, good job.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul_VS
There were a few subtle things I wanted for external mods, which I could have gotten either factory or dealer installed, but I'm just too frugal for that.

Instead, I did some research and went the Ebay/Online market route. All the parts I purchased were brand-new.

1. Cowl stripes. Dealer wants a ridiculous price for these, and they were kind of boring looking plain spears. I found these unique-looking ones with the Pony logo and surround stripe for $20 shipped. I botched the application of one of them, and the ebay seller I bought them from offered to send me another one for free. (I still Paypal'd him $10 for his trouble.) TOTAL COST: $30

2. Decklid panel. I first tried a decal, but it didn't fit and was too hard to apply without flaws. It only cost me $20, I didn't bother trying for a refund. Instead I found the OEM Ford Decklid panel for $75 shipped "buy-it-now" price on Ebay. (Ford price is $225) I've seen this same Ebay seller have them go for as low as $25-50 in auction formats. TOTAL COST: $95

3. Pony Package Grille. OEM version is about $300 from Ford. Found an aftermarket one on Ebay for $100 shipped. Quality is as good as the OEM part. Just had to swap over the chrome running pony emblem. TOTAL COST $100.

4. Tailight Bezels. Seemed to be a "finishing touch" for the back-end with the decklid installed. Found them online (not Ebay) for $40 shipped unpainted. I wanted to try Plasti-coat first, but didn't like the results, So I peeled it off and just used Rustoleum flat spray paint - spent $13 on the two cans of spray. TOTAL COST: $53.

5. "OEM" Fog lights. I probably hated this stock look more than anything else about the car. As someone else here said, the front of a V6 Mustang without foglights installed "Just screams I'm too much of a cheapass to afford foglights!". Factory price is over $600, all the aftermarket kits sell for $339. I found the parts to make up a "OEM" Package all on Ebay... minus the "factory" switch. TOTAL COST: $87.

Additionally, I sold the original "Faux Gas Cap" from the car that I took off when I installed the decklid for $40.

I also tried out a set of color-matched mirror caps, but was unhappy with the fit & finish so I returned them. The seller gave me a full refund including shipping costs. Right now I'm checking into the possibility of getting the OEM black ones (which are better quality construction) color-matched at a body shop.

NET COST FOR ALL MODS: $325!

Name:  thumbnailCAY467Q9.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  4.9 KB

...all i got to say
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
Yeah, I know but even my body shop guy won't touch them and I can't find anyone around willing to even give me a hand on rocker strips. Anyway, good job.
sounds like you need a new bodyshop guy if he is afraid of a little decal

I did my rockers, never having done them before and it was easy and look good
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

I finally got my stripes on this week. (Couldn't look better!) I called the decal guy that the body shop guy uses. It took him almost 1.5 hours. I guess they had been rolled up a bit too long and he had to use the wet method. He said that he normally will put them on dry and it takes about 20 mins. Anyway, I know not everyone likes stripes on their cars but if done correctly, they can really look good.

Quick Reply: Diary Of A Cheapa$$ Modder....