Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

changing gears in rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Op go at least 3.55s man I say 3.73s for my vote, go look on allfordmustangs there are a couple 2011 v6ers that allready have em installed*3.73* one guy even went with 4.11s
They all say it makes a world of difference in the way the car accelerates keeping it pretty much in the powerband all the time.
Only downside it seems is that noone has been able to adjust the tune yet for gears?
I'm going 3.73s in mine the only reason its not done is like some of you I have seen install quotes off $500-$800+the gears, that is crazy imo for an option that from the factory was only $395 msrp and something like $280 invoice pricing. All well I guess you pay to play right
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I went from my stock 3.31 gears to 4.10s and didn't notice a huge difference at all in gas mileage. The RPMs are definitely higher at highway speeds, but it's so worth it because of the extra passing power you will have. Climbing hills is a breeze with these gears. I might have dropped maybe a half mile per gallon, which only equates to almost nothing when you figure the size of the gas tank.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

I will make a how to thread once there is a tune out there to change the gears. Until then I won't touch the car. I plan on making man how to threads for many to see the steps and save $600+ in labor. Every one can do it, the hardest part is mental.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't wait for a special tune for different gears. Your hand held tuner will ask you if you've changed your gear ratio from stock and then you can input the gear ratio you have. That will adjust what needs adjusted.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
I wouldn't wait for a special tune for different gears. Your hand held tuner will ask you if you've changed your gear ratio from stock and then you can input the gear ratio you have. That will adjust what needs adjusted.
What hand held tuner... the one from lethal performance that only has a canned tune... Ill pass on paying $600 dollars. I want a custom tuner who can work on the tune once to make it right, make it accordingly and specifically to my car, and cost me the same when I get unlimited dyno pulls making sure it is absolutely correct..
Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
What hand held tuner... the one from lethal performance that only has a canned tune... Ill pass on paying $600 dollars. I want a custom tuner who can work on the tune once to make it right, make it accordingly and specifically to my car, and cost me the same when I get unlimited dyno pulls making sure it is absolutely correct..
Do some searches on here. I'm not talking about canned tunes. Check out "Tillman Speed" or "Bama". You send them specific information about your car and they will take Dyno tunes that they've done that have the same specs as your car (mods, etc.) and send you the tune via email. You then load that tune onto your own handheld tuner (such as the SCT X3, which I and most others have). You can program it back to stock when you need to or load another tune designed for something else. For example, I have the Tillman 93 Octane "All Out" Tune as well as a custom 87 Octane Tune. The 93 will make your car a beast, and the 87 will get you killer gas mileage if you take a long road trip without sacrificing performance. The only downside to getting a Dyno Tune is that you might have to return to that shop if you ever want to go back to stock. Unless they load your tune onto your hand held tuner that is.

Just get an SCT X3 from a reputable place and you can load up to 3 custom tunes on it.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Do some searches on here. I'm not talking about canned tunes. Check out "Tillman Speed" or "Bama". You send them specific information about your car and they will take Dyno tunes that they've done that have the same specs as your car (mods, etc.) and send you the tune via email. You then load that tune onto your own handheld tuner (such as the SCT X3, which I and most others have). You can program it back to stock when you need to or load another tune designed for something else. For example, I have the Tillman 93 Octane "All Out" Tune as well as a custom 87 Octane Tune. The 93 will make your car a beast, and the 87 will get you killer gas mileage if you take a long road trip without sacrificing performance. The only downside to getting a Dyno Tune is that you might have to return to that shop if you ever want to go back to stock. Unless they load your tune onto your hand held tuner that is.

Just get an SCT X3 from a reputable place and you can load up to 3 custom tunes on it.
Thats called a canned tune.. I know how these things work... all cars react differently.. these companies do not put all out on the table.. they leave power out to not mess up anything and to cover their A$$.. They don't see the A/F on the cars while timing so they cannot go as "AGGRESSIVE" and "ALL OUT" as they say.. That is why YOU need to do your research.. I picked up 18 rwhp, and 48 ftlbs of torque from a custom tune on my 2000 GT..

As a matter of fact I got your CANNED tunes from a very very respectable company called VMP tuning who is the "best" for 99-04 GT... I later sold it and got a custom tune and boy was it a night and day difference.. thats going from a 93 "RACE TUNE" to a 93 custom tune..
Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Thats called a canned tune.. I know how these things work... all cars react differently.. these companies do not put all out on the table.. they leave power out to not mess up anything and to cover their A$$.. They don't see the A/F on the cars while timing so they cannot go as "AGGRESSIVE" and "ALL OUT" as they say.. That is why YOU need to do your research.. I picked up 18 rwhp, and 48 ftlbs of torque from a custom tune on my 2000 GT..

As a matter of fact I got your CANNED tunes from a very very respectable company called VMP tuning who is the "best" for 99-04 GT... I later sold it and got a custom tune and boy was it a night and day difference.. thats going from a 93 "RACE TUNE" to a 93 custom tune..
Somebody's in a bad mood...... I may not have explained myself which is why you may have misunderstood me. I'm not saying that a custom tune (meaning putting your car on a Dyno and having it tuned) is not the way to go. That's definitely the best way to get your specific car tuned and probably to its max potential. What I'm saying is that "some" (not all) of the places you can get your email tunes are putting out really great tunes. What I meant by a truly canned tune is one that is loaded onto a tuner based on your year alone and doesn't take into consideration any after-market mods you've made. There are places out there that can take these things into consideration. For those who don't want to, or can't get to a Dyno, this is a good route. The reason handheld tuners are good is because you can program your car back to stock if you need to. I'm not sure how you'd do that if you had a Dyno tune, unless the person that tuned your car gave you the tune file electronically and allowed you to load it on a handheld tuner.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 2011konablue
I have a 2011 v6. I believe it has 2.73 gears in rear. I know you can get 3.31 if you order them. However I talked to the dealer where I bought it and the guy there said they can install 3.55 (I believe) gears in back. I might do that.
I think that would make it quicker off line and to 60. Although it is an auto, I think it would beat a v6 manual with 3.31 at that point. Any thoughts?
2.73s in the new 2011 V6es? Must be because of the increased Torque and HP ratings?
Check your rear end tag and you will see 3.31s or 3.55s I believe...
The window sticker will say 3.55 if it has 3.55s.

Last edited by 157dB; 08-07-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM
arnold66

The 2011 Auto 3.7 comes 2.73 stock, or you can order 3.31. It's 8.8 rear, and my tag is 2.73.
I now have a 3.73 rear, first full up got 26.28 MPG.

Quick Reply: changing gears in rear