Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default Dyno numbers

Was at GTR Hipo in Rancho Cucamonga this morning. They had a bone stock 2011 V6 AT put down 251 rwhp and 257 rwtq. Pretty impressive for a stock V6. The owner made me laugh. He was pissed because he thought it should be putting down more power. I didn't feel like having the flywheel vs. Rear wheel discussion on hp.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Well he may have been tee'd off for good reason, I sort of feel his pain....for example true, all makers advertised flywheel hp, and technically speaking, from having a bone stock '10 GT, They sold it as 315 hp, when first had dyno'd was 30 hp less at the wheels, basically 285 rwhp, so I think you could come out and say "my '11 v6 puts down 275 at wheels", now with that said if weather is damp, high humidity, you might be where his was, to lose 50 hp something ain't right here. 30 is exceptable............so back to my '10 GT, Had a 87 tune put in w/ sct x3 hand held, rwhp came up to 294....that was.just corsa axle backs and a JLT CAI added, but before my tuner guy dropped tune in, he dyno'd one more time stock with the add ons.. was about 286 , that's when he and I realized the newer Ford CAI was not a bad system...and.why my '11 V6 staying stock on pipes and CAI. Now I was running around with 294 rwhp, decided hey let see what a 93 tune would get me, so was a glumy day but not raining....dyno'd .....293...now who's pissed here,,....yep the guy typing this.....so with all that said when american muscle/bama finally gets the tunes for our '11 V6's, I hoping 280 minimum rwhp....but asking to give you 285 + with their race tune is reachable I think?

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 08-28-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
Well he may have been tee'd off for good reason, I sort of feel his pain....for example true, all makers advertised flywheel hp, and technically speaking, from having a bone stock '10 GT, They sold it as 315 hp, when first had dyno'd was 30 hp less at the wheels, basically 285 rwhp, so I think you could come out and say "my '11 v6 puts down 275 at wheels", now with that said if weather is damp, high humidity, you might be where his was, to lose 50 hp something ain't right here. 30 is exceptable............so back to my '10 GT, Had a 87 tune put in w/ sct x3 hand held, rwhp came up to 294....that was.just corsa axle backs and a JLT CAI added, but before my tuner guy dropped tune in, he dyno'd one more time stock with the add ons.. was about 286 , that's when he and I realized the newer Ford CAI was not a bad system...and.why my '11 V6 staying stock on pipes and CAI. Now I was running around with 294 rwhp, decided hey let see what a 93 tune would get me, so was a glumy day but not raining....dyno'd .....293...now who's pissed here,,....yep the guy typing this.....so with all that said when american muscle/bama finally gets the tunes for our '11 V6's, I hoping 280 minimum rwhp....but asking to give you 285 + with their race tune is reachable I think?
I have seen you post in a few different threads about how great the "cold air intake " on the 2011 mustang is and I just feel the need a make a couple points. There is nothing special about the intake ford puts on the car, 90% of all new cars these days draw air from outside the engine, this is what people tend to call a cold air intake. The big point that's being missed here is that although the stock system does a fine job of funneling in cooler air it is doing so through a small oblong snorkel which is a bottle neck in the intake system. The reason an aftermarket intake makes more power on these cars is that it removes that bottle neck, doubles the breathable filter area and smoothes out the intake bore. I'm going to post back to back dyno results as soon as I have to make it to one of the 15 dyno shops in the area.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

true....but that cone you have and i had is sucking warmer air from under hood, thus not cold air, all I can tell you is my shop does nothing but stangs and I'm talking '10 and above, 05 to 09 could use a good cai, but '10 and newer have proved as I found to be more cosmetic IMHO, NOT arguing here, but talking from real time results and over $1000 in tunes.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

true....but that cone you have and i had is sucking warmer air from under hood, thus not cold air, all I can tell you is my shop does nothing but stangs and I'm talking '10 and above, 05 to 09 could use a good cai, but '10 and newer have proved as I found to be more cosmetic IMHO, NOT arguing here, but talking from real time results and over $1000 in tunes.
It's cool. I'm a former shop owner and have tuned many many cars, but I will admit most of my experience is import or forced induction in nature. However the intake I got does seal the heat box against the hood and gets it's air feed from the stock cold air location so I do believe there is power to be made. Also the effects of warm air are no where near as bad as they are on a turbo car car and I would guess that a 30degree temp difference would only equate to a 2-3hp loss. but thats just my feeling from personal experience.

Also when testing is being done on a dyno the hood is open so the cold air aspect is moot. if it makes more power on a dyno it would be becuase of the reduction in restriction and not the temp.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

thanks, yep well if you dyno'd where I grew up in the UP of Mich. true cold air lol..they say you want the best dyno result, dyno in a mine shaft.ha ha, so all you have is the MMR Right, no tune, so lets us know.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

thanks, yep well if you dyno'd where I grew up in the UP of Mich. true cold air lol..they say you want the best dyno result, dyno in a mine shaft.ha ha, so all you have is the MMR Right, no tune, so lets us know.
Will do
Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 AM
gspyer@yahoo.com
1st Gear Member

just corsa axle backs and a JLT CAI added, but before my tuner guy dropped tune in, he dyno'd one more time stock with the add ons.. was about 286
Wow! Wait what? With a CAI, your horsepower actually DROPPED?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

yes, they said depends on the enviroment at time testing, as I said, HP came up nice w/ a 87 tune, but when went with a 93 tune you would think would come up, but went down, one note though, I did go from 19 to 20" wheels, but everything was calibrated for the 20's and the 20's were overall lighter than the stock wheels and tires.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
gspyer@yahoo.com
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I appreciate you posting all this info. It must have cost you a pretty penny for all the dynos and mods. Looks like it is iffy that the CAI is all that much better than stock intake. I'm sticking with the stock intake, K&N filter, and a tune.

Those $350 can be better spent elsewhere... like... um... the mortgage. *sigh*

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers