Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

i think funster just to cover even more booty, just go w/ fords 100% synthetic.....when i get car back, first service free so i'll pay difference go w/ that instead of blend..
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 PM
DizoAZ

---Symptom Code Information---

497000- Engine Noise Concerns

Special Service Messages

21550 3.7 Cold Tick From Cylinder Head

Some 2011 mustang 3.7L vehicles with an engine build date of June 10th, 2010 or earlier may have an intermittent tick noise from the left hand cam cover area on a cold start. Engineering has identified the cause and is developing an appropriate repair procedure. This issue will not damage the engine nor cause long term durability concerns. It is recommended that no repairs be attempted at this time. Monitor oasis for updates.

Effective Date: 10/20/2010
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
DizoAZ

I have the ticking noise as well. Most noticeable when engine is cold. Dealer told me Ford is working on a resolution, but haven't heard much more about this.

We've been chatting about this issue for quite some time on AllFordMustangs.com

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-messages.html

I suggest checking your engine build date. Dropping it off at the dealership just before closing one night. Have them diagnose it in the AM when it's cold outside and the car has sat all night. Have them put a stethoscope to the engine. That's what they did on mine.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Well guys I picked up my car just a little while ago. Service guy says , "we couldn't make it do it" and gives me a paper that says the same thing. I say "horse hockey!" and march up to the car and start it.

"CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK"

So I have them find the guy who supposedly worked on my car and he comes over and says "yea, that's the sound from the tsb". So I'm like "then change the damn invoice from could not replicate to verified, DAMMIT, so that I can get in on the fix when it's released!"

Geebus! This should not be that hard for the freaking dealer to do.

Anyways, I then have to drive home in a doggone ice storm (thank you Midwestern winters) in my new car that I didn't want to ever drive in bad weather. Got home ok.

Now I just have to put my cai back on. Grrrrrr.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Olds2rd

My car has 17K miles on it & I never heard the ticking noise until I changed the oil with AMSOIL. Is this just a coincident? Currently have about 2K on oil since last oil change, I'm going back to Motorcraft & see if that helps. Build date is 03/10.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Olds2rd
My car has 17K miles on it & I never heard the ticking noise until I changed the oil with AMSOIL. Is this just a coincident? Currently have about 2K on oil since last oil change, I'm going back to Motorcraft & see if that helps. Build date is 03/10.
Wow, you have 17k already on your 2011? And, I would imagine that if you're using a different weight oil than comes from Ford, that could potentially cause this kind of issue on cold starts.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Olds2rd

yep, 160 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. I used AMSOIL 5x20.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
koolponycar
1st Gear Member

My car has 2500 miles on it and I hear the left side ticking noise on cold starts and seems to go away after it warms up good. I changed my oil at 2200 miles and put the motorcraft 5-20 synthetic-blend back in, and car still makes the ticking noise on cold start. I plan on taking it to the dealer like Funster did and get a VERIFIED on the noise in case they come up with a fix. My car has a bild date of 5/11.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:24 AM
SteveMasterZerox9
2nd Gear Member

Mines in June I believe and same ticking noice especially at cold start up. Thought it was lifters or injectors but it seems ford knows about it but still already in progress of making appointment soon to get looked at. Keep updated
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM
koolponycar
1st Gear Member

Default Took it to dealer today

Originally Posted by koolponycar
My car has 2500 miles on it and I hear the left side ticking noise on cold starts and seems to go away after it warms up good. I changed my oil at 2200 miles and put the motorcraft 5-20 synthetic-blend back in, and car still makes the ticking noise on cold start. I plan on taking it to the dealer like Funster did and get a VERIFIED on the noise in case they come up with a fix. My car has a bild date of 5/11.
I went to my local dealer today to verify the ticking tsb. Also a clutch pedal that keeps squeaking. The dealer did verify my noise and the same TSB. Also they are going to order the clutch pedal parts to eliminate squeak. I had the service tech to do a walk around when I dropped off my car that I had no damage to it. When I went back my chin spoiler had been rubbed against concrete parking stop. So now they have to order that as well. Bummer.

Quick Reply: I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?