Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

SALESMEN

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Sexgun

Default SALESMEN

I need some wisdom!!!!

how do you deal with a salesmen?

best stradegy? or gameplan?

here is my situation , im wanting a mustang v6 premium soon. im gonna collect 4K for the down payment , my brother works at the dealer so i may get his discount (hopefully) plus rebates, and the salesmen, i know him personally too , course hes still a dirty salesmen ofcourse hhehehe no offense to any hard working hustlers out there, its just a lil joke.

anyways im thinkin of going to other dealers to see their bottom prices then , maybe dealing with my friend.

all thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated , none are dumb feel free to post!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 AM
Grabber2012

Always remember you are in charge. You are the one who brought money, and the salesman won't have his feelings hurt if you walk away.

Ford has made "dealer invoice" the sale price for all practical purposes. Dealers are making their money via the holdback. Don't forget to add the $486 advertising consortium fee the dealer gets whacked with to the "invoice" places like Edmunds show. Not sure what discount your brother gets - probably not the "A" plan - so you may do as well or better anyway. You may want to just ask right away for the sales manager.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM
dangerzone

good reply

Last edited by dangerzone; 12-13-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Sexgun

mathematically speaking if my pops has mean credit, and im gonna go conservative on this , their rebate plus my brothers discount is another 2 g's how much of a monthly payment would i have total?

so that would make it my 4k plus 2k of rebates and bro's discount " again i think this is on a conservative side" for a total of 6K off the 27,000 sticker price
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 AM
2bravo

NEGOTIATE BY EMAIL!

Don't go into the dealership in person until you have quotes from a bunch of dealers. Play them against each other through email then find the lowest price. Bring that into your brother's dealership and ask if they can do better. If not, then you know where to go.

Don't take the traditional route of walking in unprepared. It's just asking for trouble!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 AM
lemmings

You're buying a Mustang, so obviously you are going to be excited . Don't reveal that excitement to the salesmen, if you do, he will use it against you to try and get a higher price out of you.

DO YOUR RESEARCH. Salesmen lie, all the time. When I went to a dealership while I was looking for mine, he told me his GT with an ABUSED interior and 80k miles on an 07 was worth 17k on KBB, when I knew through research that KBB said 13k for a decent car. If you are buying new, make sure you do the research on the options of the car, what they cost, and what the advantages/disadvantages of that option is. And any insurance repercussions, insurance is based on the VIN, and the VIN reflects many of your options, it may be cheaper in the long run to get the less "optioned" vehicle now, and upgrade it yourself later. Obviously these upgrades won't be covered by warranty, but just something to think about.

Do not be afraid to negotiate. A lot of dealerships say price is non-negotiable etc. That is total crap, they want to sell that car just as much as you want to buy one.

Do not be afraid to walk away. The first Mustang you see that you like is not the only Mustang like it. There are always more Mustangs , be patient, keep looking, and don't jump on the first one you see.

If you're buying used, make sure to get a Carfax report, vehicle history report, something. It's worth it to know that your car wasn't in an accident. If you browse on Ebay, you can find lots of cars that "look" brand new but the history report reveals a collision of some sort.

Also, and this doesnt necessarily factor in to salesmen, just into buying a car, and some things I ran into. Dont forget about the sales tax on the car. I thought I had everything accounted for, and in VA got hit for 3% of the purchase price on the vehicle. If youre buying new 3% of say 30,000 is $900. Some will let you add that to the loan you are getting, some wont. I Did NOT see that coming .

Fun little fact, some insurance companies charge more for "Torch Red", others don't factor it in. Learned that while shopping around for insurance .

Thats all I can think of for now.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Actually, if you have a hookup, just go ask the guy BEFORE you are ready to buy what the no-BS bottom line is with your brother's discount and all available discounts. Tell him you are thinking either new or used because you've seen a few 2010's that you are thinking about because they are so much cheaper used. He'll do the best deal he can. If you don't like the price, go back when you have cash in hand and ask if that's the best he really can do. Be prepared to walk and find another dealer without a hookup if it's not a good deal. Pretty harsh but if you play the game be prepared to lose.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2bravo
NEGOTIATE BY EMAIL!

Don't go into the dealership in person until you have quotes from a bunch of dealers. Play them against each other through email then find the lowest price. Bring that into your brother's dealership and ask if they can do better. If not, then you know where to go.

Don't take the traditional route of walking in unprepared. It's just asking for trouble!
Do this. This is the best way to get a decent deal. I spent about 2 weeks dealing with 3 different dealerships before buying my mustang. I dealt with them all through email then narrowed it down to 3 dealerships and started dealing with them via phone. I got one dealership down further than any other dealerships would go and finally went in for a test drive. Once there, I dealt on my trade in first. Once I got that to where I wanted it, I dealt on the final sale price of the car. They offered me $7500 trade on my 07' corolla S. I ended up at $8900 for the trade in. And the car ended up at a final sale price of $20,800 and $22,900 after tax, title and license (in California) after $1000 factory rebate and $500 military discount, and I ended up paying cash for the car (no financing). You may be able to do a bit better now. There were very few base V6 MT's when I was looking. The salesmen actually ended up driving about 2 hours away to another dealer to get my car. The best advice is to be patient and ready to walk away at any point if the deal isn't what you want it to be or the car isn't the exact option package/color you want. Finding the best deal is half the fun! Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the car!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Sexgun

if you had this to work with , what would you do?

my pops has mean credit, im gonna collect 4k and im gonna go conservative on this , their rebate plus my brothers discount is another 2 g's how much of a monthly payment would i have total?

so that would make it my 4k plus 2k of rebates and bro's discount " again i think this is on a conservative side" for a total of 6K off the 27,000 sticker price for a premium package.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sexgun
if you had this to work with , what would you do?

my pops has mean credit, im gonna collect 4k and im gonna go conservative on this , their rebate plus my brothers discount is another 2 g's how much of a monthly payment would i have total?

so that would make it my 4k plus 2k of rebates and bro's discount " again i think this is on a conservative side" for a total of 6K off the 27,000 sticker price for a premium package.
Well, for a $27,000 car:

$27,000 sticker
Texas sales tax is 6 1/4%
Add 2% for fees, and tax/titale/license
Total out the door price ~$29,250

$4k down and $2k rebate= $23,250 total financed

With your dad's credit, and I'm assuming he'll be cosigning, you'll be looking at a rate around 4.9%, though you may be able to talk them down a bit on that.

With all that in mind, for a 60 month loan, you're looking at $440 a month, assuming you don't add anything else at all to the car (ie extended warranty, interior protector, etc).

Loan calculator used:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx

Quick Reply: SALESMEN