Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

feel of the 3.55's versus the 3.31's

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
... There's no way you will enjoy rush hour when you are putting around like a dump truck.
Hah Hah... good line. (I've putted around in a dump truck in my younger days, so I hear ya). Hey, I think you comparison you showed did demonstrate that the gearbox in the '11+ v6 is hard to compare against others.

Sitting right on the edge on trying to decide between 3.31 and 3.55, I decided on the 3.55. One reason that I hadn't thought of before, but that Hogasswild brought up earlier, was that on the Perf Package with the wheel setup, the effective diameter is a bit smaller, shortening the gear. Eventually I could see myself going with the same tire/wheel setup that are on the GTs, which do stand a tad bit taller, bringing that effective ratio back toward the 3.31.

I'm finding myself more confused by all of the mods and quarter mile times all the time. There doesn't seem to be a correlation that matches up with the mods done. Tons of work and money to be sniffing low 13's, but then remember seeing one guy's youtube video of him running low 13's with a 2.73 (can't find the vid, but it was the guy who made his red v6 look kind of boss 302-like). Anyway... just an observation

But with all that said, a 4.17 first definately qualifies as a granny unless the rear is tall.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:33 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Did some more number crunching on these gears. First, after a little research, it appears that Scottybaccus posted some gear ratios in the v6 MT82 that weren't quite correct. Now, once I entered in the correct gear numbers in the MT82 for the v6 and the v8, there were a couple of interesting observations.

The range that 3rd gear gives (from 3rd to 4th) is way bigger on the v6 MT82 than the V8 counterpart. 3rd gear is really what makes this transmission different from the others. In other words, throw a 3.73 in a v6, and 3rd still has a bigger range than a 3.31 on a v8.

The CLOSEST match on redline points between a v6 tranny and a v8 tranny is the 3.31 for the v6 and 3.55 for the v8. 1st and 2nd are very close comparison to both. But 3rd on the v6 carries way to much range (to the enthousiast anyway).

To get the top of 3rd and the top of 4th to match up with a 3.55 v8, you'd have to put the 3.73 in the v6, but it comes at the cost of 1st and 2nd being way lower.

Confused yet? I'll try to post the spreadsheet results somewhere when I get a chance.

Meanwhile, I am schedule to take in my car (2.73's) in on monday to geat the gears changed and the aluminum drive shaft installed. The guy at the shop said that the FRP gears DO whine, and there is a disclaimer on the box. That has spooked me a bit, and now I'm reconsidering the take-off 3.31 that I have sitting in my garage. Can anyone speak to the gear whine of FRP gears?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

had 3.73's FRPP on my last car, they whined a bit on decel, nothing to get upset about though lol

I wana pick up some 3.31's that are lightly used. where can I get em and for how much?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by livinloud98
had 3.73's FRPP on my last car, they whined a bit on decel, nothing to get upset about though lol

I wana pick up some 3.31's that are lightly used. where can I get em and for how much?
Thanks for the info. ...Just wasn't sure how noticable the whine is. ...The guy on the phone infered that it was a slam dunk just to put the oem 3.31 on.

Well, if I do, a final flip-flop back again to the FRP 3.55, I'll let you know, and I'll sell the 3.31 take-off at the price I got it for. ...Still scheduled it for Monday, and have the tunes for both ratios, just in case.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

FRPP has 2 different gear sets. The ones with "M" in the code are made by Motive...They are whining annoying gears. Avoid

The ones with "A" in the code are the quiet ones. Buy these.

BTW, for you guys running 6th gear at 35-40 mph...I feel bad for your motors crank and the clutch. You guys are lugging the crap out of that poor car.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:26 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus

BTW, for you guys running 6th gear at 35-40 mph...I feel bad for your motors crank and the clutch. You guys are lugging the crap out of that poor car.
+1 I feel bad for my car when I put it in 6th at 60mph lol
Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Boy Howdy

TY for saying something. I wondered if it was bad for the car, but the people I talked to said it wasn't. What I'll usually do is shift to 6th once i hit 40mph. I have 3.31's so my rpms are about 1100. I only use this for level surfaces and down hill, anythings else (like a head wind, lol) and i'll down shift. If this is too bad for the car, when is the best time (the most "healthy") to shift gears?
P.s. my 60mph is about at 2k rpm in 6th.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

FRPP has 2 different gear sets. The ones with "M" in the code are made by Motive...They are whining annoying gears. Avoid

The ones with "A" in the code are the quiet ones. Buy these.

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks. I knew the Motive gears had a tendancy to whine a bit more, but I didn't know they were also rebadged under FRPP. That is what you are saying, correct? Kind of makes me wonder why some of these whine, while others do not. I'd have to think they are all using the same specs for milling, and the same hardness for raw material.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boy Howdy
TY for saying something. I wondered if it was bad for the car, but the people I talked to said it wasn't. What I'll usually do is shift to 6th once i hit 40mph. I have 3.31's so my rpms are about 1100. I only use this for level surfaces and down hill, anythings else (like a head wind, lol) and i'll down shift. If this is too bad for the car, when is the best time (the most "healthy") to shift gears?
P.s. my 60mph is about at 2k rpm in 6th.
I'd have to drive one. You can hear it when the motor starts to lug. Start a thread and ask the other 6 speed sixxers?

For reference, I can hear mine lug at 40 mph in 5th and I'm pushing around 100 more HP/TQ than you and the V-8 has a better torque capacity to avoid the lugging.

Ford used to specify speeds for each gear in the Owners manual. But I haven't seen that lately because what is best for the motor/clutch doesn't equate to the best MPG

Originally Posted by sketchy00
I wasn't aware of this. Thanks. I knew the Motive gears had a tendancy to whine a bit more, but I didn't know they were also rebadged under FRPP. That is what you are saying, correct? Kind of makes me wonder why some of these whine, while others do not. I'd have to think they are all using the same specs for milling, and the same hardness for raw material.
Yep, Motive makes gears and they are marked with the "M" in the parts #

Kind of like Hurst makes FRPP Short Throw Shifter, but it's labeled as a Ford Product.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by livinloud98

In my classic way, I waffled again at the last minute, and got the 3.55's. So the 3.31 oem I picked up from another forum member is available if you want it. I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it. PM me if you are interested.

Quick Reply: feel of the 3.55's versus the 3.31's