Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI and Tune, what first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:10 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI and Tune, what first?

I have been looking through the existing threads and I wasn't able to determine what sort of milage gains you might get from a CAI and tune?

I am trying to deside what sort of improvents are in the future for my stock 2012 3.7/MT. The truth is most of my driving will just be drivng to work and back, I don't see any teack days in my future. So saving money on gas is a nice ensentive for upgrades, but is realistic expect better milage? and if so how much? I am currently getting about 26.5 mpg. (mixed but mostly freeway)

1) I think the natural first step would be a cold air intake and a tune?

2) So then it is a matter of which combination?

3) Is it practical to buy a CAI and then tune later or vise veras?

4) Is there real weight savings in the JLT carbon fiber CAI over other CAIs?

Moneys tight so if I could make improvements in increments that would be preferable. So where is a good place to start?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 PM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

Default You can start with an intake or intake + tune

You might want to start with just an intake. Intakes on the new v6 don't require a tune. While it's true that an intake or intake & tune can improve MPG, I wouldn't count on it. A tune really wakes up an auto car by making shifts firmer and quicker.

so..

1) You can start with an intake, a tune, or both. You'll probably want to start with a CAI so you won't have to get another tune (as you would if you bought the tuner first, and then the CAI).

4) There is no practical weight savings to the CF intake tube- it's primarily for appearance.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

There are definitely mpg improvements by using 93 octane, a CAI and a tune. Individually the mods don't make a difference, but combined I've noticed a 3mpg improvement. I posted some pretty detailed numbers in here. Unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't easily find the thread right now. I think it was in an 87 octane tune thread.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:19 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Read this :
http://m.mustangforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=636671
Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 AM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the link.
I thought the numbers were kind of encouraging. I know people calculated the dollars and cents of the gas milage a couple of different ways but I was looking at it like this:
As it is I pay $3.69 for 86 and I get about 26 MPG. That works out to $0.1419 per mile.

91 costs $3.89 , so if I could 29 MPG that would be $0.1341 per mile.
If by chance I save a full penny per mile that is $150 a year for me... so well worth the investment when you consider the funequety. I suppose if you consider the cost savings on buying new air filters then $ tilt even a little more on the bright side.

So does it matter which CAI kit you buy?
I think the steeda is the most expensive one I have seen and I think it says it reqires a tune. The rest of the CAI kits seem pretty close in price.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WORKISSLOW

So does it matter which CAI kit you buy?
I think the steeda is the most expensive one I have seen and I think it says it reqires a tune. The rest of the CAI kits seem pretty close in price.
As long as it's a tune-required intake, they're pretty much all the same. Most of the improvement comes from the tune anyway
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

The only tune required intake is the Steeda and it really doesn't make any more power than the other intakes. The best intakes for the money for the 3.7l are the JLT and Airraid.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:35 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

So what happens if you install a Steeda CAI and put off getting the tune for a while?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WORKISSLOW
So what happens if you install a Steeda CAI and put off getting the tune for a while?
Steeda = Tune required yes? So putting off the tune means if you put the CAI on, you go........nowhere.

Required means that it has to be re-tuned for the CAI in question, as it will allow more air than the factory tune can cope with and/or is set for.

Last edited by wayne613; 11-02-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Steeda CAI for the 3.7l. Requires a tune and does't make any more power than the no tune required CAIs that cost half as much.

Quick Reply: CAI and Tune, what first?