Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

what mod should i do next???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

I second the tires. The compound for the pirelli's on the premiums is super sticky but FFS 235mm isn't nearly wide enough. I'd def buy the P-Zero Nero's again but in a wider size. I've never had such amazing tires in the rain and the latteral grip feels endless. But it's too easy to spin the tires with the stick and that's wasted forward thrust.

I also vouch for getting the driveshaft. The stock one is apparently barely good enough for the car. I hear the aftermarket one piece aluminum shafts for these cars are somewhere close to 20lbs lighter than stock. considering it's a long rotating part bolted to the transmission, these 20lbs should make a world of a difference. probably improve your 1/4 by at least a tenth. and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a fuel economy improvement across the board. and for 600$ it's not too expensive. Considering these benefits and the extra durability.

Seeing as you have an auto, you are the one with the most to gain from a tune. it will make the transmission snappier and more aggressive from what people have said. Plus the powerband improvements. I love the street tune for the huge ammount of extra low RPM torque personally.

and if you have 2.73 gears. at LEAST go for 3.31s which I find are the sweet spot and make for a perfect pair with the 3.7 V6. But you could always go for something more aggressive.

Recap:

-Wider sticky tires
-driveshaft
-tune

I also see that AM now has the ford racing handling upgrade kit. for barely over a grand. Seems like a good price. but I wonder if the product is nice or crack pipe.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:04 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I'm leaning toward the Eibach prokit with springs and dampers that go for just over $500.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Before you get the gears, you should get the wheels and tires to increase grip:
Lookin' good there Hogass. So your PP wheels deal must have fallen through huh?! ...I'd love to see some other pics that show the offset and stance of the car. PM me if you have nothing else to do.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

We went out of town for the weekend but I will get some additional pix when I get back home.

The gentleman who was going to sell his wheels ultimately couldn't. I'm not unhappy since I really love my new wheels. They ride great too.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

The thing with the ford racing kit is it has springs, front struts, rear shocks, front and rear sway bars with bushings and the strut tower brace. Anyways to me it seems like a lot of kit for the $$ and I like that the drop is only 1 inch. Honestly even a 1 inch drop scares me with the way roads, parking lots, parking ramps and whatnot are designed here T_T.

EDIT: link: http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-h...ck-1112v6.html
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Careful with dynoing your car. My buddy has the 2011 v6 and has snapped 2 driveshafts. One was a once piece aluminum shaft and all he has done is cold air, exhaust, bama tune. It now has a 4 inch aluminum drive shaft and the shop refuses to dyno it lol. Before it snapped the last time it put 289 rwhp and the aluminum shaft was rated at 600 HP. We think it may have been the angle of the axle was off due to lowering it. He did run the quarter mile in 12.9 though. Not bad for what he's done. Also he has my stock 18" wheels. You could pick up a set for 500 used
Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Was it a manual? Sounds like he had 4.10 gears with that time.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:38 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Was it a manual? Sounds like he had 4.10 gears with that time.
The second run was with 3.73's the first run was stock gears. He's not the only v6 that has had this happen. I think its the 2011 model only that its happening to. Luckly Ford covered the parts and labor on the first shaft.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:45 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv...?v=k_Z0RbNKoTo

Here's the first time it snapped
Old 11-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

soooo. Was his ride lowered in BOTH incidents?

What brand of driveshaft was he using?

That's kind of scary and am now wondering what I could actually do to PREVENT that from happening.

Edit: Almost seems like the best bet would be to switch to a 2011-12 GT rear axle in order to use a GT driveshaft lol

Last edited by Upsh1ft; 11-26-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply: what mod should i do next???