Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Bama Tunes, CAI, MagnaFlow Catback, Xpipe Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Zorcean

Default Bama Tunes, CAI, MagnaFlow Catback, Xpipe Problem

Hey All,

I got a new 2012 3.7L V6 Mustang.

I upgraded the following:
  • Airaid Cold Air Intake
  • BBK Long Tube Headers
  • BBK Offroad Shorty Xpipe
  • Magna Flow Catbacks 15591
  • Bama Tunes 91 Octane

Here is the problem.

There is a constant drop from 1000 rpm's to 500rpm's. We have this problem with our without a custom tune. I even had SCT come out and tune the dang thing and not even SCT could stop the constant drop in RPM's.

What we have done to troubleshoot.

We have checked for leaks, check for anything loose., Everything has been tightened.

We have unplugged the battery for an hour, turned the car back on and let it idle for 5 minutes, turned the air-conditioning on for 2 full minutes full strength and no change in the idler.

Anyone have any idea why when we put the new parts on we are having a constant idle drop?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Did you make sure the tune is specific for the headers and x-pipe? Are you using a race tune?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Zorcean

Well, bama tunes is very aware of what i have. I got it all from American Muscle. So, i was quite thorough in what i had. And, no matter the tune, racing, performance, street, stock, or custom from SCT themselves, the problem remains the same.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest a trouble shoot and switch back stock parts to see whats causing the problem.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Howdy, Zorcean!

When you checked for leaks, did you smoke test the car? If so, did you smoke test the exhaust too? Have you checked where the headers mate up with the heads to make sure there's no gaps/leaks there? Normally, if it's hunting for an idle like that, it's going to be an air leak somewhere. The reason it's "hunting" for an idle is because with a leak after the MAF sensor, the car doesn't know how much air is actually coming in the engine.

I would smoke test the intake system, the vacuum lines and the exhaust. That's going to be the best way to try and find it.

Keep me posted though (feel free to PM me if you update this thread) and let me know what you find. I'd be happy to help in any way way possible. Good luck! Let me know!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Zorcean

AMChrisYoung,

Thanks for your suggestion. No, we did not smoke test it. I am going to take it back to the shop this week and tell them exactly what you said. This completely makes sense. The car is brand new and was working fine until the new parts. So, it makes sense that something was not put on correctly. I will keep you up to date.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zorcean
AMChrisYoung,

Thanks for your suggestion. No, we did not smoke test it. I am going to take it back to the shop this week and tell them exactly what you said. This completely makes sense. The car is brand new and was working fine until the new parts. So, it makes sense that something was not put on correctly. I will keep you up to date.
Cool! Please do and be sure to either post up here or PM me and let me know.

Have a great night!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1 in short, unmetered air getting into the intake will cause the 'hunting' idle.

That means to not only check the MAF is correctly installed (no gaps and flush) but also the PCV system. If the PCV hose is not on all the way or you have a breather attached to the tubing that goes into the intake (not the valve cover) the intake is pulling in unmetered air.