Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Water Sloshing Around INSIDE Driver's Door?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs down Water Sloshing Around INSIDE Driver's Door?!

I don't know why I haven't noticed this before, but I can hear a good amount of water INSIDE my driver's door! It rained for most of the day yesterday and I was parked facing downhill if that made any difference, since I can't park facing uphill or water would leak into my trunk.

Has anyone have this happen before? I can hear the water moving back and forth on the very bottom of the door as I'm driving. When I opened the door, I can see water pissing out from the bottom rear corner of the door, but not enough to drain it out.

Guess this will be another addition to my long list of problems for my next service visit.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn. Are the door drains clear?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Damn. Are the door drains clear?
I didn't even know doors have drains!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah they do, which is scary if you think about it. Water electronics that sort of thing. I got a bit of water in mine at one point go figure right Seattle.... But what I have come to find out is make sure you clean the hell out of the molding strips around the top of the door. Also the ones that hold the window glass.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

I checked under the door and I see no plugs of any sort to drain water! Are you messing with me? lol. There's still a good amount of water inside the door today. I parked my vehicle facing uphill since it's not raining anytime soon. Hopefully, this gets rid of the water. I can't imagine rust building up from INSIDE the door! omg
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

It should be a long square rubber plug on each end of the door on the bottom. Also there was a TSB recall for the water getting into the door. Check your online ford sync to see if the TSB is on there Ford should be able to fix it for you.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
I checked under the door and I see no plugs of any sort to drain water! Are you messing with me? lol. There's still a good amount of water inside the door today. I parked my vehicle facing uphill since it's not raining anytime soon. Hopefully, this gets rid of the water. I can't imagine rust building up from INSIDE the door! omg
On the 99 (and universally on all cars I think) at the bottoms of doors on the inside part, there should be a few 'drains' or holes where water would drain out from rain or a car wash. The newest cars might have a different thing like described above though.

Run a google search on 's197 door drain' and you'll see some more examples.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
The Ders

Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
I don't know why I haven't noticed this before, but I can hear a good amount of water INSIDE my driver's door! It rained for most of the day yesterday and I was parked facing downhill if that made any difference, since I can't park facing uphill or water would leak into my trunk.

Has anyone have this happen before? I can hear the water moving back and forth on the very bottom of the door as I'm driving. When I opened the door, I can see water pissing out from the bottom rear corner of the door, but not enough to drain it out.

Guess this will be another addition to my long list of problems for my next service visit.
This JUST happened to me with my 2010. At the bottom of the door there are two rectangular things that are I guess there to prevent water spewing in an undesired direction? I dunno the exact function but if your car sits outside chances are like mine, it got clogged up by crud getting inside as the water got in. Here's a pic of what it should look like Name:  c05bd82c-2fb4-4e5c-9cb5-a2f4eeadebab.jpg
Views: 7843
Size:  56.0 KB

There's one towards the rear of the car, and towards the front of the car on the door. Just remove both and the water will spew out. You'll notice water release just by moving it a little. Mine ended up being clogged by gunk like I said so I cleaned it out as best I could and after days and days of rain it hasn't happened again yet...

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
jwkim524

oh wow. This happened to me too... I just ignored it oops. Thanks for the post. I shall go check my door also
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Good thread! I haven't run into this yet...of course, I've only had to turn the wipers on once...

Quick Reply: Water Sloshing Around INSIDE Driver's Door?!