351 Mustang

I'm almost done!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
H Dean
1st Gear Member

Default I'm almost done!

Got my 408 in the car. Runs great! i put a 5 speed in with 4.11 in an 8" rear end and the thing is a beast with only my old edelbrock 600 cfm carb!

So much power I bent my leaf springs and had to get new ones. Also put in sub frame connectors and shelby style traction bars.

My questions:
1. fan--what kind of electric fan will work? my regular fan is chewing up the shroud.
2. where can i get a low profile air cleaner. i want to keep all this under the hood ----not really sleeper, but not what most will expect.
3. my oil guage went out or sending unit died---almost gave me a heart attack when i looked down and saw zero oil pressure! got cheap unit from parts store but wonder if i can fix or should rewire old one? any suggestions?
4. heater is not getting very warm---any suggesitons---its cold as >>>> here, but the car gets warm and for some reason the air is warm, but not what i would expect.

thanks for all the help you can provide!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm almost done!

Fans off Lincoln Mark VIII's can be had a junk yards cheap.
and blow like a *****.
Got mine for like $50 w/ 30 day warranty. Super easy to wire up.

I would recommend an aftermarket "mechanical" oil pressure gauge
will run a small tube from engine into car to gauge. Dead on readings.

What temp thermostat are you running?
If you went down to a 160-180 T-stat then water is not
getting very hot in the system.
You could go back to a 200 degree standard T-stat.

Check Summit for air cleaners of all shapes and sizes.

650-750 carb should really open up your top end too.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

cant help ya, but congrats on the engine finally in!!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:06 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

put up some pics man, most aftermarket electric fans should be good

summit should have a small aircleaner that your looking for

and as stated above, a mechanical oil pressure guage

im not a pro on heaters since neither of my stangs have them, check your coil though
Old 02-17-2007, 07:38 PM
H Dean
1st Gear Member

thanks for the replies. you guys hit the nail on the head on the thermostat. in ky it is about 16 degrees and my car just wont warm up. i know the summer may be different, but i've got a 185 stat in there now.

i'll get some shots in soon.

any tips on tuning? i'm running a 600 edelbrock carb and i'm a complete novice on tuning it. i'm scanning ebay for a bigger carb.

now the 4.11's are killing me. 1st gear is worthless. 2nd gear starts are no problem but have not ran anyone. how long should a 'break in' the motor? i've got about 25 miles on it now just getting things lined up and the traction issues nailed down. with sub frame connectors and shelby style traction bars it really helps.

i've got an 8" rear end in now and pretty narrow rear tires 245/40's. any suggestions? i've got access to a ton of 9's but all too wide [father in law owns salvage yard!]. anyone tried an 8.8 with a rebuild? would that fit under my car? where can i get a reliable measurement to know what will and wont work?

i've likewise got a line on the air cleaner and will go with k/n cleaner and extreme "top".

what gas should i be running with 10:1? is 93 ok? i'm still getting the old tank of 87 out and have a fair amount of pinging when getting at 3/4 throttle.

thanks a lot for your help.