351 Mustang

5.8 fox swap...header question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:34 AM
emsevas

Default 5.8 fox swap...header question

ive got a 351W swap im going to do soon, my question is about what headers do i need to buy? the only headers i found were on summit, and those seem to pretty and way to pricey. is there others out there for less?? also is there an advantage to swapping my 86 5.0 heads onto the windsor? will they flow better??
oh, im going carbed too, if thats any help.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Arrid Extra Dry
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5.8 fox swap...header question

my brother put 302 headers on a 351w in a fox body car, i think he had to try 2 or 3 sets to get one set too work.. its been a while back so... im thinking he had too beat and bang on the drivers side to make them work, i remember it was really close to the steering rod.
It all depends on what kind of 302 headers you have that might work, because a different brand header is going to be different from another sometimes.
and if you have a Kmember or not.
if all else fails, get the torch out, bend it, or cut a tube with a saw saw, and weld it back up...
but if you decide to go the easy way , and buy the right headers..BBK 351W for fox body car.. thats what i put on mine, and the headers dropped right in and bolted right up, and no leaks!!!
As far as the 86 stock heads, on a 351, you can run them.. but i would do a lot of grinding on the ports to open them up. and im not going to get into that because if you grind too much you can ruin them, so im not going to say nothing about that lol... just make sure you know what your doing.!!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Indy
1st Gear Member

I agree with Arrid... The BBK's were worth the bucks for sure! I originally fitted old 302 Blackjack headers to my Windsor in my Fox 'stang and had to beat the crap out of one, to get it to clear the steering rag joint. I later bought the BBK's, and they practically slid right in! If you do decide to go with 302 header because of cost (which I fully understand), just make sure you choose a set that have at least 1-5/8" primaries and 2-1/2" collectors, IMO.

As far as the heads are concerned,it depends on what year heads you have on your Windsor now. If you have the stock Windsor C9's or D0's, definately stick with those 'cause the use the bigger valves and have way more potential than the '86 heads, again IMO.
Hope this helps.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Indy
Old 02-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Indy
1st Gear Member

Wait a second! The first thing we need to know is... are you using a manual transmission or an automatic? This will be a very important determining factor here, cause the BBK's will not fit around an automatic. If you are running an automatic transmission,just about any long-tube header is going to give you a fight to install.

Indy
Old 02-18-2007, 12:36 AM
emsevas

yeah, im going to be running a c4 auto...more problems then? how much of a fight is it going to be??
Old 02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Arrid Extra Dry
2nd Gear Member

yeap
Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

I got Hooker super comps with the doulble flange ( I got world windsor Jr heads with stage 3 port ) the y work pretty goos but I got to get special gasket made buy hooker for double flanges my pass side leaks a littel bit but its too cold to fix now gona wait till spring
Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

first off the 86 mustang 5.0 heads are about the only ford windsor heads u cant put on a 351 or any other 5.0 except the designated blocks. they are the crappiest heads ford has ever made, the e6 heads will probably give u less hp than if u went and found to 4 cylinder heads from a junkyard.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Hurricanedt77
2nd Gear Member

So what we are saying here essentially , is that there is no posssible way I can use my BBK long tubes and BBK short H pipe off my 302? If no, can someone please provide me with afew part numbers for some 351 swap headers. I try looking, but I dont want to purchase the wrong product. Thank you kindly
Old 02-20-2007, 09:20 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

If you got the cash call Kooks headers up and be dont with it

Quick Reply: 5.8 fox swap...header question